5 lug wheel problem

Vapors

Aug 26, 2005
Bakersfield
I need to get a new set of wheels really bad, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

The problem is its been converted to a 5 lug(on an 87 LX Coupe) if I'm reading correctly, their are different ways to convert from 4 lug. If if was converted over by means of SN95 parts, will I order wheels that will fit 94+ cars? And is their a way to tell how they converted it? It still has drums in the back btw.

EDIT: Another thing to add, when my problem first came about, I went and had the wheel bearings checked and repacked, would they not be able to do that if it was an sn95 conversion?

crapola

• Sponsors (?)

What I was getting at was after I find out what conversion I have, how do I look for wheels? ie..should I order wheels like my car is a 94+ if it has the sn95 conversion? Or if it the other way, do I order wheels for an 87 like my car is?

???

Vapors said:
What I was getting at was after I find out what conversion I have, how do I look for wheels? ie..should I order wheels like my car is a 94+ if it has the sn95 conversion? Or if it the other way, do I order wheels for an 87 like my car is?

???

You will want 94+ wheels for your car. The problem you may encounter is with the centercap and mounting. If you have sn95 spindles then you would be able to take only the rotor off and the studs would remain on the spindle. Here's a pic of what I mean:

View attachment 499469

However, if it was a lincoln conversion then the rotor will have the studs in it and look like this:

View attachment 499471

If you have lincoln rotors (lower picture) then it will limit your selection in wheels for two reasons. First, you may not be able to run the centercap on the front wheels. This is because the dust cap on the rotor will pertrude through the centercap area. You can either push down the dust cap or not run one (don't do if daily driven) so the centercap will fit. Secondly, depending on which wheel you get, you may have to grind the end of the rotor so the wheel will sit flush. Check out this thread for more info on the lincoln setup:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=671052&highlight=saleen

Well I think it might be the lincoln rotors, not entirely sure. But the Cobra Rs I do have on the car have center caps if thats relevent. :shrug:

And so if it is the lincoln rotors, to get the 94+ wheels to work I would need to run a spacer?

Vapors said:
Well I think

And so if it is the lincoln rotors, to get the 94+ wheels to work I would need to run a spacer?

Depends on which wheel you go with. I don't agree with the above post above the spacer. Again, depending on the wheel, you could take off the dust cap and not run a spacer. You will have to experiment with it. Good luck.

CoupedUp said:
Lincoln/Ranger 5-lug conversion
8" wide wheel:
Front: +12mm
Rear: 0mm

9" wide:
F: +30mm
R: +18mm

SN 5-lug conversion
8" wide:
F: +18mm
R: +18mm

9" wide:
F: +36mm
R: +36mm

Screw this offset crap. Offset means nothing to me. yeah I understadn it, but it's worthless by it's self. You have to convert it over to SAE and figure out backspace for it to be of any value IMO.

To do that divide the offset by 25.4. That's the SAE measurement. Now add 1" to the wheel width and then divide that by 2. Add that to the converted offset and that's the approximate backspace you need.

tjm73 said:
Screw this offset crap. Offset means nothing to me. yeah I understadn it, but it's worthless by it's self. You have to convert it over to SAE and figure out backspace for it to be of any value IMO.

To do that divide the offset by 25.4. That's the SAE measurement. Now add 1" to the wheel width and then divide that by 2. Add that to the converted offset and that's the approximate backspace you need.

:( Do the math for me then. I like offset .... it makes me feel global :drool:

tjm73 said:
It's not as simple as this or that offset will work or not. You have to evaluate each wheels fitment seperately.

I agree that not all wheels fit exactly the same ... but if the wheels are manufactured properly and have an exact backspacing, then a fitment guideline can be resolved.

From an offset perspective ... as long as the bizarre manufacturers are thrown out of the equation (any ones that would make a wheel with an oversized bead-lip) the chart I posted above will house any given wheel nicely relative to the fenders and the chassis interference parts (a-arms, struts, etc)

Of course fitment factors such as coil-over suspensions and hub mounting surfaces play a role.