5spd stuck in reverse...

mkzimms

Aug 6, 2005
New York
:damnit:
01 GT w/ 5spd......i shifted into reverse yesterday and havent been able to shift out. its weird, its totally stuck in reverse, but the transmission "works". when i start it up, i can let off the clutch and drive the car in reverse, but it wont shift out. its very stuck and will hardly even allow me to jiggle the shifter. its a pro-5.0 short shift, so i pulled that off to see if it was the shifter, but no luck, its definatly the transmission. anyone had any problems like this, or know where to get good prices on new transmissions? i guess at this point i may just buy a tremec.

-mike

• Sponsors (?)

So you're sure where the bottom of the shifter connects to the tranny is actually moving the linkage? I'd say if the linkage is moving but not shifting out of reverse, you're definately looking at a tear-down.

Good chance to upgrade though, like you said. Good luck!

My 99 GT did that, and I had reverse replaced for $300. I actually drove in reverse late at night to a buddies house. Max speed reverse is about 30mph.

its gotta be the T-45. mine did the same thing (but still under warranty, thank goodness). its the reverse syncro. you need to get it replaced, and i would recommend an overhaul. however, thats expensive. if i were in your shoes, i would get a nice 6 spd tranny if you plan on keeping the car for a while. if not, just repair the T-45