64 Fastback

shoff

Aug 28, 2004
A friend of mine is selling his 64 fastback. It's in terrible condition. I'm looking to have it completely restored (not original parts). Any idea of the range I might have to pay for this? Assume real bad. It will need extensive body work, engine (new or refurb) exhaust, struts, etc... get the idea. Also I'm new at this type of thing so if you can point me in the direction of a few good web sites for info I would greatly appreciate it.

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Price for a 64 fastback, priceless...
Considering Ford didn't make a Fastback until midseason 1965.

Typo aside, considering the amount it seems this 65 Fastback needs I can't see it being worth more than $2,000 to pickup.

As for the total restoration costs, you can spend as much as you want, lol
I mean some guys spend $30,000 on a restomod ride, others are happy with a $200 Earl paint job and a 2 barrel carb.

Considering your new to restorations, how much of the project do you think you can realistically do? Extensive body work isn't cheap if you can't do that yourself for example.

It basically depends on what you want to do with it. I mean, it is pretty brainless to put a $3000 paint job on a daily driver. In that case, an "Earl" job is the ticket. Some guys like to keep the car stock because that's the way they like their Mustangs. Others go all out. It's up to you.

I'd like to make it a VERY nice car (showroom condition). Worthy of being on Overhaulin. Well not that nice but you get the idea. Also, I'm terrible at doing this myself. I'm going to pay to have it done.

shoff said:
I'd liek to make it a VERY nice car (showroom condition). Worthy of being on Overhaulin. Well not that nice but you get the idea. Also, I'm terrible at doing this myself. I'm going to pay to have it done.

You can seriously expect to pay in the neighborhood of $30k as 2BAV8 mentioned for that type of resto.

shoff said:
I'd like to make it a VERY nice car (showroom condition). Worthy of being on Overhaulin. Well not that nice but you get the idea. Also, I'm terrible at doing this myself. I'm going to pay to have it done.

Yea, I
d like to have one of those too, but then, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it the way I want to. I couldn't park in Walmart's parking lot. :D

Ozsum2 said:
Yea, I
d like to have one of those too, but then, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it the way I want to. I couldn't park in Walmart's parking lot. :D

Agreed, we were discusswing that at a carshow yesturday. There are some real nice Trailer Qweens, but they're not for me. My Ragtop is lucky if it gets washed :D , I ride her hard and put her up wet. :D And I'll bet my car is alot more fun than any of those TQ's :spot:

2bav8 said:
Price for a 64 fastback, priceless...
Considering Ford didn't make a Fastback until midseason 1965.

Actually the fastback went into production in August of 1964. The early fastbacks even had some of the 64 1/2 features. All had the altenator rather then generator, however.

shoff

It's admirable that you want to take on a project like this. But if you are going to have this done professionally be ready to pay a lot more then 30K. If the car is severely rusted your looking at a nightmare. A very respected restorer in Lake Carmel, NY is doing just some minor body work & full paint job on a GT350H. He is getting 20K for the job & he has a wait list a mile long.

I would suggest if you have 30K in cash go out & buy a turn key that someone else has spent 50K on.

Best of luck

shoff said:

Be happy to comment on any part of the restoration. I know the car intimately...I spent one whole winter underneath it working on the bottom side... I took every last bolt out of it and put them all (I think so) back in.

I had one, a early fastback (30 Oct '64). Of course it carried a '65 VIN. Mine was in fair condition when I bought it but it almost makes no difference when you're going to do a full restoration...it still costs lots of money!

When I started, I thought I'd spend around $15K on it and have a nice car. I was planning to do the work on my own. In the end, I spent $26K on it before I was done. I considered it done when show worthy. At $26K it was still not what I dreamed it could be. I showed and trophied with it but it was still $10K away from what I wanted it to be. Of this only $3K was spent for outside work. The rest was parts. I was never satisfied with "good enough", I was always thinking, "You'll never get back here again so you might just as well make it right!" I did a good job and got lots of good complements but in the end I decided to sell it for it was a continuing money pit and some what of a PITA. This occurred over four years time. I enjoyed it but it also got very old at times. I got $21K when I sold it.

I now drive a '01 Mustang GT that's still got warranty on it and when it needs some attention I don't mess with it. Ford gets it...and its cheaper to own and operate.

I'm not saying owning a classic doesn't have its gratification. It does. Just be sure you want what you want. As my sister said (husband is a street rodder), you gotta have deep pockets and you gotta have a lot of spare time.
:D
Jeff

shoff said:

Hope you have a fat wallet. Owning an 40 year old car and not working on it yourself is a recipe for big, big, big bills!

I hear what you all are saying. I think I'll pass on this car and look for one in fair condition and a good price and start from there. I figure if I spend a few grand to buy it and a few more to make it look and run nice I'll be way ahead of the game.

Thanx all you'll be hearing from me again

WORTH said:
Agreed, we were discusswing that at a carshow yesturday. There are some real nice Trailer Qweens, but they're not for me. My Ragtop is lucky if it gets washed :D , I ride her hard and put her up wet. :D And I'll bet my car is alot more fun than any of those TQ's :spot:

Hell Yea!!! :nice:

shoff said:
I hear what you all are saying. I think I'll pass on this car and look for one in fair condition and a good price and start from there. I figure if I spend a few grand to buy it and a few more to make it look and run nice I'll be way ahead of the game.

Thanx all you'll be hearing from me again

Don't let them scare you Shoff, there are 2 ways to restore a car, ONE is to make a show car, the other is to make a driver.

I did a complete resto to my 69 coupe, and only spent 6K. And it looks like a real nice classic car. It wont win any shows, but it's a heluvalot of Fun to drive, and it turns just as many heads as the 40,000 dollar cars.

PS. I paid 2000 for my ragtop 3 years ago, it's my dailey driver summers, it needs paint and a little more interior work, I'm doing it a little each year until I have the dough to paint it, and it is also a blast to drive.

sig.jpg

I think this might help you.

This http://www.dodgestang.com/death trap.xls is what it took to take my 1965 FB from this:

65MUS002.jpg

65MUS004.jpg

65MUS008.jpg

MVC-012S.JPG

To this:

hires5.jpg

MIRRO008.jpg

nick2.jpg

nick1.jpg

Sorry if I linked too many pictures for you dialup guys ;)

Bottom line: I didn't do a single solitary rust repair to the car. Did I spend more on the driveline than you might, possibly, but IMO there is no single solitary item more costly to farm out and have someone else do than rust repair and the bodywork associated with it.