65 Convert- New subframes, not impressed. (?)

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
I got a set of global west subframes welded onto the convertible, and I can't tell a difference- at all.

Yes, they are welded correctly, in the correct spots.

Has anyone else had this experience? I've always read it's supposed to be extremely noticeable, the best mod you can do to a suspension, and one would think that on a convertible they'd be even more noticeable. I've heavily modified the rest of the suspension, maybe that has something to do with it.

Check out the link in the signature for the rest of the suspension details if you're into that.

• Sponsors (?)

There are some other items you can add that will make a good difference.
1). NPD has a deep draw Export brace, it is thicker steel than the cheaper ones, and made a very noticable difference.
2). In '66 Ford installed a bar that runs from the pedal support over to the right side of the dash, This makes a noticable difference as well (in reducing cowl shake). You could either try to find one, or just make it.
3). There is a "Y" brace that will tie the back half of the subframe connectors to the front half. In my experience,... the jury is still out. I *think*, based on your choice of subframes that you would have to fabricate one.

What I noticed on the convertible in the signature below is that the subframes did more to hold the body from buckling, but do nothing for twist. I will say that before installing the Chassis Works setup on this car, jacking up the car would change the door alignment. Now, it doesn't matter which corner or end is in the air, the doors open and close normally.

For sure the export brace made the biggest difference. Big enough that I am now concerned about tearing the cowl, and am going to install the weld in support ("L" bracket that goes upside down under the cowl lip). I beat this car hard on some very rough back roads, to see what was going to bend or break. 1,000 miles of very hard abuse, and not a darned thing changed. I don't have a Monte Carlo bar yet on this car, but will add one just to support the shock towers. Not sure if I'll notice much difference in handling, but will stave off the towers cracking.
Good luck!

I have exactly the same connector lying in my garage ready to be welded onto the car. I was hoping this would improve the stiffness of my car but when I read your story all my hopes are gone......
I already installed a monte caro bar and a export brace but noticed not much difference drom the standard setup.....

I guess my old convertible is somewhat solid- Before the subframe connectors, when jacking, there was no real noticeable door gap change. Maybe ford did their job- 'verts are stiffer than I thought.

I'm one of those guys that is not sensitive to car changes- I've added all kinds of power enhancers, all kinds of suspension pieces, and I don't notice much. They are all done right, but it has to be a supercharger for me to notice something different.

That being said, when I recently re-did the front suspension, I noticed it handling corners much better. I'm going to credit the shelby drop. I'm sure the adjustable strut rods and roller spring perches did something, but nothing I can pinpoint.

Also, the new reverse eye rear springs made a big difference by giving the car a 'flat' feeling in the ass-end. (by the way, 4.5 leaf is just a little to stiff, I would go with the 4 leaf next time)

On the subject of things that do make a difference, I found that re-doing my original power brakes (with granada swap) to a modern booster and master cylinder made a huge difference. I used mustang steve's brake pieces on that. Feels like a totally modern brake system off a taurus or something.

I mean stiffness in the body, it does not twist, etc. My thought was that the subframe connectors would just make the car, 'better.'

It sounds like the uni-body on your car is really in excellent condition. I can't tell you that I've ever jacked up a corner on a convertible (and even a lot of coupes and fastbacks) that didn't have flexure. That is *very* cool. It's also why you probably haven't noticed a difference with the subframe connectors. I *think* you would probably have noticed the difference over time with all the power adders. Eventually the car would start to sag.
BTW: sounds like a killer car! :nice:

Scott