'65 Roof Rail seals

ozstang65

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Queensland, Australia
Hi all. The jigsaw puzzle that is my Mustang is finally being pieced back together. I've reassembled the rear 1/4 window assemblies today, which actually went together easier than I remember them coming apart.

I have one question regarding the roof rail seals. I have used Sikaflex to seal betwen the aluminium channel and the body, so that's never going anywhere again! Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to hold the seal into the channel? Do you just sit it in, glue it in or use adhesive tape??

At the moment I have installed it dry and it holds itself in fine. I'm just worried that sometime down the track it might begin to part company with the channel.

Also, can anyone recommend a rubber conditioner to keep all the seals in premium condition?

:cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go and get the tube of the stuff but I sprained my damn ankle and i'm too lazy to go out to the garage at the moment. I think the directions say that you put a strip no longer than 3 inches long of the adhesive on at a time or something like that. The directions are quite easy to understand. It's really strong stuff.

Whats up guys
Sorry to barge in on your thread, but i have rotted roof rail seals as well and i was thinking of just cutting them off and getting some good weather strips but if a can i would like to keep my stang as original as i can without sacraficing to much green. is there an easy, clean and future foul proof way of doing this?

I took the seal retaining channel off the car also, but that was really only to facilitate painting, you might be able to just pull the old rubber out and leave the channel attached to the car.

I found that there was some hardened sealant in the channels that needed cleaning before the new seal would sit properly, and this is much easier to do with them off the car. I used black sikaflex sealant when I put the channels back on the car to ensure a good seal.

I think I might try a few spots of sikaflex to hold the rubber seal in the channel for now

I don't know the brand name of the replacement rubbers, but they cost $80AU for the pair, so I'd guess they're about $40US.

nitequill said:
Whats up guys
Sorry to barge in on your thread, but i have rotted roof rail seals as well and i was thinking of just cutting them off and getting some good weather strips but if a can i would like to keep my stang as original as i can without sacraficing to much green. is there an easy, clean and future foul proof way of doing this?
using the adhesive is pretty easy,it comes in yellow or black and can be found at any auto parts or auto body store.Whatever gets glue that shouldnt, just wipe up before it dries.