66 coupe -fast back, yea i am going to do it again

IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG
the roof is on, lower window panel is welded in,tring to fit the window panel the quarters and the tail panel was a job the trunk lid is an 1/8 inch narrower than origional and the pass quarter is about 1/16 narrower at the top of the trunklid than the driverside,driver side fits a perfect 1/8 inch gap but the pass side has a 3/16 gap only at the top of the trunk lid may have to weld in a strip of sheet metal to close up the gap, at the end cap its a perfect 1/8 inch gap .set the back window in place perfect gaps all the way around

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

the inner structure is all thats left ,had to hand make all of it
kept the templates should i ever decide to do another one ,templates are for
shelby quarter windows ,but i will make a new one for factory vents , its been
a lot of fun ,from striping down the coupe sheet metal to were i am now i have
around 60 hours, it has actualy been quite easy drivers inner structure is almost complete
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
is it to late to change my screen name ,to Dr. Von Fraken Stang?
cause ITS ALIVE ,well its a roller any way .the pass side inner structure is in.
because i am using shelby quarter windows the inner water trays were not
needed so i just made a tray that will mount the inner fiberglass. tied the upper
roof brace into the door posts had to make the bracket. this thing will never
flex its so ridgid . finnished off the last remnants of the coupe, the door holes
were the quarter windows used to come through. spent most of the day grinding
welds. tomarrow its off to stang-aholics were ron is going to install a pro g front
end and a four link 9". he said he will take pics. of the instal ,when i get it back
it will go up on the rotisserie for a final sand blast and epoxy prime:cheers:
IMG_1587.JPG

Great project! Where do you live? It must be so great to live in a climate where you can work and store things outside. Cutting and grinding can suck so much when you're inside, wearing a respirator and the air just doesn't clear out until you can open up the space and sweep all the dust out.

if any one has any questions on parts i used feel free to ask, with the new parts i used a donner fastback is not needed and its not the typical hack job, they are all new parts
i have a fairly detailed album under horse sence 66 coupe to fastback conversion
i am having the interior pieces cnc plasma cut so they will be available soon
this was a fairly simple conversion atleast for me but i do have panel fitting experience
the total time for all was around 74 hours but i think the next one will be much faster
the materials were some were around $3000. paid 500 for the coupe so you can
see it was a deal now i have a fast back, and you know how hard they are to find
i plan on taking more pics till its finnished so stay tuned

horse sence said:

"sunny california ,half way between bakersfield and fresno"

Man, that is pretty much the most perfect part of CA. Fantastic year round weather, not nearly as CRAZY as the part South of the Grapevine (LA Basin) AND just about the center of the cradle of hot rodding, not to mention the financial picture is not quite as bleak and pricey as most of the rest of the state. I drove OTR big rigs for a while and our company had a terminal in Tulare, so I had a chance to check out the surrounding area, AWESOME! I especially liked it several miles East of the 99 highway. You lucky dog.
Gene

you got it ,30 miles east of 99 tulare county ,right in the foot hills
this is the place to be for racers especialy in the 60s -70s ,guys like
Al vanderslice he raced a 64 thunderbolt in 60s-70 from farmersville
or good friend Ronny Broadhead,who wone315 points out of 320 in 63
winning the nhra nationals breaking records 3 times and also taking
worlds points crown in his 363 hp pontiac along with his partner hl shahan
this area is famouse for record setting racers and believe it or not country
singers and writers . you can read about Ronny in the march of 64 Hot Rod if you can
find one .and my neighbor Lennard perry who a couple of years ago set a road race
record in his boss 302 ,could be the garden of eden but we do have several snakes

had to buy the full right and left side of the 67 fb to get the door upper structure i bought the kit in un welded form they didnt even know they sell it that way but they do, right and left 65 fastback quarters,lower rear window panel fast back, rear roof brace 65 fastback, may or may not need 65 tail light panel ,up to you. 65 fastback
roof,dont need the front brace its already there,the rear trunk devider for 65 fastback .the only thing you will use from the 67 pieces is the upper door frame and that you will be triming,and the curved
brackets that mount the inner structure to the wheel tubs ,the rest is swap meet items i guess unless you need the wheel tubs or rockers ,i just hung on to them as i will probably use them on down the line,the rest is simple 18 guage plats that i made to replicate the origional as close as possible , be glad to help step by step its not that difficult but you will need welding skills. i am having the plates cnc plasma cut when i get them i will let every one know

I see this application becoming more and more popular. Is there a problem with title changes? About how much are the parts for this? I want a 65 fast back as well, one of these, if affordable would work well...
the parts were around $3000 took about 74 hours to trim the coupe parts off and replace with fastback panels, since the front end is un touched it retains your origional numbers ,so its still a coup by number with a fast back body

just finnished the template for the inner plate that will mount
the outer origional vent, i will send it out to be cnc cut as well

looks like i may have another coupe to fast back conversion to do
i will post pics as well ,should be a lot easier this time. its another
very strait 6 cylinder coupe extra clean
IMG_1620.JPG

Last edited: