66 Mustang Rearend

cospanky

Aug 27, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have a rearend housing & axels from a 66 mustang V-8(no pumpkin). I also have a carriage(pumpkin) and housing from a 67 mustang (no axels). Can I take the carriage out of the 67 and put it in the 66 housing? Some people I talk to say yes without any problems. Others say I need a new pinion flange, seal and nut for the 66, before I can change the rearend. I am putting the rearend in a 66 Mustang that has a 6 cylinder rearend in it now but has a 289 engine. Will I also have to change the driveshaft? What's your opinion? Thank you. Spanky

• Sponsors (?)

The 67 axle carrier will fit in the earlier model provided they both have the same size ring gear. They could be 8" or 9" but are both probably 8" since they are much more common. I would see no reason to change the flange, seal or nut if it is not leaking or loose. I'm not sure about the drive shaft but it will more than likely not work as is. The length may have to be changed and maybe different u-joints used. A 6 cylinder drive shaft may be too small for a V8 then again maybe not. I'm sure somebody that has done the 6 to V8 swap will be able to answer that question.