'69 clutch and transmission

GerryL

Mar 1, 2010
RI
I'm brand new to forums as of about one minute ago so bear with me as I learn the ropes. I have a couple of basic questions about the '69 Mach 1.
Back in the '80's, as I was getting ready to turn my everyday driver 69 Sportsroof into a Mach 1 (what we did back then having grown up in the muscle car era), I bought a spacer/shield plate, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, and bellhousing off a 351W block that I know came out of a 69 Mach 1. The spacer is essentially round and is a solid piece like off a 289 and 302, according to some restoration books I've seen, but I know this is the original one out of the car. Somehow these parts have followed me around all these years but the car, being a typical Unibody, rotted in half and went to the boneyard better than twenty years ago. If only we knew, right?
A few years ago I bought a Mach 1 without a motor and transmission that will be a mongrel driver, my retirement project someday. That'll explain where my questions are coming from.
I recently bought a 351W out of a running 69 F-150. The spacer has a cut-out in it in the top half along with an access relief cutout in the bottom half. This is also in line with pics I've seen in restoration books. Can someone help clear up the confusion since they're both 69 351W's and they're both original? I know one is out of a car and the other out of a truck. Why might they be different? Car block vs service block perhaps?
Next, same deal with the blocks themselves. I bought some motor mounts which are universal for all 351W's. In the truck block I have there is a 3/8" dia square nut plug near the front of the block in the lower right side. This plug is in a boss cast in the block so I know it's supposed to be there from the factory. This plug interferes with the motor mount by about 1/8". I've put in motor mounts most of my life and this is the first time I've run into this. They're Napa mounts and I've never (that's never) had any problem with Napa stuff. Since I don't have a car 351 to look at I don't know if that plug is in that block also. Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Last, (an easy one), is there color on a '69 transmission, i.e. Ford blue like on the block or any other color, or is it natural? I've seen trannys both ways, both painted and not, so I don't know which would be correct.
Obviously this will never be a points car but, while it's apart, if I can do simple things like paint I will.
Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I recently bought a 351W out of a running 69 F-150. The spacer has a cut-out in it in the top half along with an access relief cutout in the bottom half. This is also in line with pics I've seen in restoration books. Can someone help clear up the confusion since they're both 69 351W's and they're both original? I know one is out of a car and the other out of a truck. Why might they be different?
The 1-piece is for a manual trans, the 2-piece is for an auto trans.

Next, same deal with the blocks themselves. I bought some motor mounts which are universal for all 351W's. In the truck block I have there is a 3/8" dia square nut plug near the front of the block in the lower right side. This plug is in a boss cast in the block so I know it's supposed to be there from the factory.
Block drain. Chase the pipe threads and screw it in farther.

Last, (an easy one), is there color on a '69 transmission, i.e. Ford blue like on the block or any other color, or is it natural? I've seen trannys both ways, both painted and not, so I don't know which would be correct.
Ford transmissions were not painted.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. The car will be a 3-speed stick so the one piece spacer is a done deal. No paint on the tranny, same thing. The motor mounts are an issue tho. The interference is with the block casting itself, not with the plug. I took the truck motor mounts that came with the block off and they're cleared to miss the casting so I'll probably be clearing the car mounts to match. I'm not fond of doing that but there's enough stock on the car mounts where when I'm done they'll look like the truck mounts, plenty of meat between the edge of the bolt hole and the interference. It's just odd that I would have to do that in the first place. Now that I have some info from you I'll check with Napa and see if they have any explanation.

69 Clutch and Transmission

More questions.

A buddy gave me a 1972 3-speed Toploader off a 351. That's according to the numbers on the transmission tag plus I helped him pull the tranny. The transmission crossmember mounting holes on the tail shaft casing run front to back.
I was hoping to stick this thing into my 69 Sportsroof to support the ass end of the motor until I find something more in line with what should be there.
All the '69 crossmember mounts I've researched, both new and original, and checking out restoration books just for some pics, have the tranny mount bolt holes running left to right. Unless there's an adapter plate that will turn the holes 90 degrees or something like that it would seem that I can't use this tranny.
Is this a correct assumption, no can do? Or does an adapter exist and I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle? Thanks.