6AL problems

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
Been having some issues with the '91. Running like hell, smelling like raw fuel along with all the other symptoms of a misfire. Checked all the plugs, wires, coil etc. Turns out the 6 series was the problem. bypassed the box and the car runs and drives perfectly. Been doing some reading and it seems like a lot of people have issues with the 6AL. They dont seem to last too long, this box has been on the car since January. Always buzzed very loudly, but others have said the same thing so i didnt figure it was an issue. Havent taken the box apart yet to see if it burnt up, shorted out, etc. but just curious if anyone else has run into the same problem? is there any way to bench test these ignition boxes? Havent contacted MSD yet, thought id check with everyone on the boards first.

• Sponsors (?)

seems they offer to repair most peoples boxes but im not paying $80 for them to fix something that was their fault to begin with. Next box will be a Crane for sure.
Might crack it open out for the hell of it, but im sure that will void whatever warranty it has.

MSD stands for "May Suddenly Die". Don't feel picked on, you are now a member of a large fraternity of disappointed MSD users.

It is my understanding that the circuit board inside is coated with a sealer to the extent that it is not repairable by reasonable methods. The $80 repair fee means MSD opens the box, replace the circuit board and send it back to you. The replacement board isn't likely to be any better quality or durability than the original.

interesting b/c i noticed a lot of people using MSD stuff. i would think MSD would be a better company that takes care of their customers....too bad. any suggestions on other brands to use (ie. distributor, ignition box, coil)? at some point i'd like to replace all my stock stuff.

interesting b/c i a lot of people using MSD stuff. i would think MSD would be a better company that takes care of their customers....too bad. any suggestions on other brands to use (ie. distributor, ignition box, coil)? at some point i'd like to replace all my stock stuff.

Don't bother.

I've had issues with my 6Al, blaster coil, and billet dizzy. THe only thing that hasn't taken a dump is my two step and module selector but i'm sure it's just a matter of time. :notnice:

Had my 6al for 3 years without any problems.Then one day it just went out for no reason.I switched over to the stock ignition and it ran fine.I went back over to the msd i can drive about 2 miles and the car will just shut off.

I've had a MSD 6AL on my 86 GT convertible for over 20 years without a problem. Only 18k miles in the past 20 years, but still not a single issue with it. Maybe they made them better back then. Sometimes quality takes a back seat when a company tries to increase their profit margin without increasing the price of the product.

I love how MSD brags that they are used by NASCAR, as a lame attempt at self-promotion. The thing that always concerned me was that every NASCAR race car has TWO MSD boxes mounted! Obviously this is one for a backup, due to the inevitable failure of the primary!? Seriously though, MSD sells hundreds of thousands of these things, and I think that their failure rate is actually quite small, percentage wise, compared to the numbers sold/used. Where they are mounted is extremely important. If they are subject to any kind of elements, meaning extreme heat, water, dust etc. this will exponentially speed up the devices failure. I have had good luck with Crane, but i would use an MSD, if I had to.

mines mounted under the dash, no water, dust, heat ect... just a junk box as far as i can tell. dont get me wrong, i dont expect them to produce that many boxes and not have any of them fail, just wish theyd stand by them in a way that doesnt include me paying them for fix something i already paid for.

i know thread has mostly been on the MSD ignitions, but i just got a brand new MSD 8456 Pro-billet Distributor off of craigslist.... should I keep it or sell it? it was a pretty good deal. what do you guys think?