8.5 or 9:1 compression pistons

rculjak

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2001
Heys, what compression pistions do you think I should get with the 331 stroker kit I about to order from coast high, my car will have afr 165's with stock cam trickflow intake 1.7 rockers and a novi 1000 seeing 8psi, I dont really plan on running much more than 10 psi, what will the drivability be and gas millage be with the 8.5 compared to the 9:1's?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go with the 8.5's if you're going to be blown. I doubt drivability or fuel economy would change much, but when the pressures on or the temperature starts to climb, you're a lot less likely to experience detonation as appose to the higher compression slugs. Besides, you’ll get away with pulling less timing and being able to run higher boost pressure with the lesser compression pistons, which is why it’s recommended….besides, 8-10psi isn’t all that little boost on a multipurpose engine anyway, so the safer the better.

well, out the door I am paying 5000 canadian, thats 3700us, it comes with a reconditioned and strengthened block, upgraded freezeplugs, coast high pro street 331 stroker kit with forged crank, rods and pistons, main girdle, billet timing chain, sfi dampner, new pump and also includes labour and installation, I shopped around for a off the counter shortblock but could not really find a better deal and this one includes labour.