83 302 potential?

RedFox5.0

Apr 3, 2007
PA
89 Grand Marquis 5.0

Updated look at the bottom

I have a chance to get an 83 302 4bbl for virtually nothing. I have been waiting for an engine to come along like this so I can build it up with pistons, rods, crank, cam, heads, intake, etc and wait for the engine in my 98 stang to **** the bed and then do the swap. My car has 112k on it now. It would be my first engine build but I can tackle it with the help of my uncle. I want to go 302 because these mod engines are so expensive to modify and I am not good with SOHC. So, that leads me to my questions.

-What is the downsides of an 83 engine?
-Can I make my T-45 work?
-Will engine mounts from a 94-95 work?
-What am I getting into?

If you have a real reason why not to do this you can state it but for everyone that is just gonna say stick to the mod engine don't post unless you have a decent reason.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to go pushrod buy a explorer engine to use as a base. If you go carbed you can get a couple hundred for the intake that you are not going to use, and you get better heads. Starting with a non roller block is going backwads in my opinion. 83 was rated at 170hp. What is a 94-98 6 banger rated at? T-45 can be made to work and the motor mounts I do believe will work.

T-45 will not work. It's only designed to bolt to the mod motor

'83 302 is a crap engine. It's a boat anchor. The block would probably explode at 250HP. (ok not really but my point is it sucks)

Start with either an 87+ lower end or an explorer motor as a base for a build up.

The pre-85 302's were non-roller motors, so I don't think building up that '83 block would be as simple as slapping on whatever heads/cam/intake you want. Aside from that, the shortblock is still pretty lame, and the pistons suck. As suggested, shop for an '87+ Fox 302 or, better yet, an Explorer 302.

Alternatively, you could pick up a 302 from a T-Bird/Cougar ('86-'89), or Crown Victoria LTD/Grand Marquis ('86-'91) or Town Car ('86-'90) for really cheap, and they're likely not abused. But also bear in mind that while those are roller motors, they're the lo-po versions with crappy E6 heads, flattop pistons, and wimpy cam. You could throw better heads on those, but your cam choice would be limited by your valve-to-piston clearance due to the flattop pistons.

Alrighty then. I was just wondering if it would work being that I found a running 83 for $150. What do explorer engines usually run?

As for piston - valve clearance it probably wouldn't matter because before the engine hits the car it would have brand new pistons in it.

Well I guess I'll keep looking, too bad there are no pick-n-pulls around here that I know of.

What cams and heads would I be limited to with the 83 block?

Is the explorer engine the best way to go, even more than the 87-92 HO block from a stang? Are the heads better?

Thanks.

Edit: I called about a Grand Marquis engine 1989 for around $200 still in the car runs and drives so I'll maybe take a look at that.
I should be able to put dome top pistons in it shouldn't I?

To put an EFI engine in my car what wiring would I need from the grand marquis?

I found an 89 Grand Marquis engine with a AOD that slips all for $200, I was able to hear the engine run because it is still in the car.

What am I gonna need to swap this into a 98 stang gt and put a T-5 on it?

My Guesses:
Mounts from a 94-95 mustang gt 5.0
What else?

Will regular mustang parts work on this engine? e.g. new forged dome top pistons and cam and heads?

Is this a decent block to start building with?

What do I need to do to convert it to 5sp?

Thanks.

Ok, so you said to not say anything about the mod motor unless you had a good reason.

'89 Grand Marquis engine is a standard output 5.0. That's 180-200HP. In order to make it even move, you are gonna need new heads, cam and intake and other supporting mods. The block is fine, and it should have the notched forged pistons like the Mustangs do.

Now, for under $1000 you could score a set of PI heads, cams and intake from a 99+ Mustang, install a 70mm TB and plenum and have close to 300HP at the flywheel. Add exhuast and the car will be a rocket. Do some gears and solid low 13 second car right there.

With the 5.0, you are going to have to mate the engine harness into the car, and i beleive you need to swap the K-member as well to bolt a302 in. You'll need to buy exhaust anyway and you'll need to find a T-5 setup or another trans as the t-45 will not work.

In all honestly, with a target goal of 300HP at the flywheel..it will be easier and cheaper to modify the 4.6L. Putting either of the 302's you've mentioned in it is sort of a step backwards IMHO

Yeah I don't know if I feel like swapping the K-member out but, the reason being is my uncle used to be a mechanic abut neither of us have ever put heads and cams in a Modular engine so we are kind of skeptical and local shop wants like $800 or so I think to put heads cams and intake on my car. I kinda wanted to get another engine because I daily drive the car and it would be easy to work on an engine out of the car already.

I guess I'll look for PI engine parting out but I can't get over doing all that work to put newer stock top end on my car, I'd rather just get comp cams, new intake, and maybe aftermarket or PI heads. But the reason I want to build up an engine is because I want to have my car sometime in the future running like 12's or 11's. I figure if I build the engine myself I will save a lot on labor but I am not 100% sure if I can do it yet, and I'd rather dick a $150 engine up than to dick the only engine I have.

My engine has high miles and I don't want to put a whole new top end on it and then have it blow up shortly after. If I go and rebuild my car I want to forge the bottom end so I can run high boost in the future, but then again thats $5k in itself.