86 heads E6SE

mnbf

Aug 14, 2003
Canada,Saskatoon
Kinda new to the whole 5.0 thing but i was just wondering if there is away to
rework \ grind the E6SE heads so they dont have the heart shape and so they would flow better.. any input would be good
p.s. i know there garbage but im not spending money on heads and i got these free so yea....
p.s.s. im makeing a motor to go in my moms 77 mustang so im not trying to make a drag car lol thanks for input

• Sponsors (?)

Don't remove anything other than the sharp edges, those E6SE chambers are actually larger than the better ( for HP production) E7TE heads. They cc out at about 68 cc's, the E7's are 64 cc. The E6's make excellant bottom end torque, better than the E7's but are about 25 hp shorter than the E7's on top.

actually if your not planning to use much rpm after 4500 they are probably the best head you can get. i had a set on my fox body then upgraded to lightly ported early 289 heads. i lost so much torque at lower rpms it made me sad. the ported heads didnt overcome them till about 4000rpm on an e303 cam.
as for tuning them up all you really need to do is unshroud the intake valves a bit, remove sharp edges from the combustion chamber(keep in mind not to go past the head gasket surface) radius the bowls and radius the pushrod bumps some with a dremel.

The pistons that came with E6SE heads, are true flat tops, with no valve reliefs, no dish either. The reason for that, is the valve seats are located about 1/8 higher above the deck than in other small block heads.So there's no chance of the valves hitting the pistons, unless you swap on any toher set of small block heads. The valve stems are shorter on the E6SE's, enabling Ford to still use the stock length pushrods . The 72-76 pistons have huge dishes in them, that's why I asked, you don't want to use the E6SE heads with them ( I wouldn't use them in any motor)

umm

thats is what i was talking about i have a 74 block and a 77 block ( with a hole in it) and they he ther same pistions not dished.... so yea... maybe your thinking of 72-73 or maybe a mach 1 but im talking 74 and 77 mustang II you know the ugly ones ;)

If they don't have the dished pistons, it's entirely possible that they've be changed in the last 30 years. Ford dished the 302 pistons to lower the comp ratio in 72 , then in 77 or 78, they went to flattops, and the huge chambered D8OE heads, so the comp ratio stayed the same. As I recall those 72-77 pistons had about A 1/4" deep dish in them. Ditto for the 351W's too.