Brakes 87-93 brake line question

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
I am going to have to upgrade the intermediate brake line on my 83 to a 87-93 to accommodate my new dual exhaust...
The attached pic is what is being shown for this.
Are there two lines for this brake line? The one for my 83 is one line..
1690066067720.png

• Sponsors (?)

I believe so. The shorter one will go from the combination valve (brass block after the master cylinder) to up by the passenger hood hinge. There is usually a Union at this location and then the longer line connects here and then runs to the back of the car.

You can see the Union here and the how it passes through the inner fender and down the wheel well to start heading the the back of the car.

1690080003667.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I believe they sell two different set ups.
One is for cars with subframe connectors, which is the two piece from front to back to allow you to route it properly, and the other is for cars without subframes. It’s a single line from front to back.

I believe they sell two different set ups.
One is for cars with subframe connectors, which is the two piece from front to back to allow you to route it properly, and the other is for cars without subframes. It’s a single line from front to back.
Yes there are two different part#s ( with or without subframes) but the pictures are the same....

Reading back, Aerocoupe is talking about the union at the firewall….. the line “with subframes” has another union under the car, which makes routing over the subframe connectors possible.

Reading back, Aerocoupe is talking about the union at the firewall….. the line “with subframes” has another union under the car, which makes routing over the subframe connectors possible.
Yes, I follow you... Just saying that the picture on SStubes website, is the same one as the NO subframes part #.......
If I sound crabby, i already ran new brake lines on the car. Had to have the long line cut and flared at my local hydraulic shop as it was too long and POORLY bent from the company I purchased it from..
Drilled a new hole in my 9" rear to accommodate the vent and where the flex hose mounted and the housing lines hook to... Custom bent and flaired the new housing lines to fit the 9" housing...
Being new to fox bodies, I did not know that the stock brake line routing will NOT work for dual exhaust.... ALL of what I have purchased and the work done is for naught....
OH well, live and learn and spend MORE money.....

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
I know this isn't your particular application, but thought the pictures in this article may provide some insight on brake line mounting points....

Hey thanks... Actually those instructions are the same thing as my 83 was originally a single exhaust car as all were until 86? or 87..... Here is a pic of the original exhaust off the stock exhaust manifolds.. Notice the " single hump" transmission mount.. Muffler shop offered me $100 for the Cat...
DSCF0919.JPG

Would anyone have any good pictures of where exactly this bracket is riveted? I know where it goes appx, but what I would really like are some closeup pictures of the area it rivets too, so I could measure off them to mount it on my car...
PIcs of any line clips from the rear subframe up to it would be a bonus....
Any help is appreciated
1690993825394.png

Last edited:
I migfht have some pics in my thread when i did my exhaust and had brake line issue. Let me check

Not the best pics, but take a look

I received the line for" With subrames' and it is two piece with a union where the rear subrame is..... I do not think the line goes over the frame connector though....It routes under my vert rear support plate and the frame connector welds to the top of the support plate....
I will follow up with some pics when I get further along...
TOO HOT here.....

I’ll check for some pics of mine. It definitely went over the frame connector, close to the floorboard. The convertible may be making things a bit different though. Not familiar with the very bracing underneath.

Here’s the routing as it goes over the subframe. It follows the same route to the back as the fuel tank vent (may be different on the carbureted cars). But either way, this is how it goes over the subframe.
2D0D517F-000C-452D-8D93-5446769FA23A.jpeg

Rdub6, we were both thinking the same thing but I was incorrect on verbalizing it... I kept thinking over it, is actually under it...
we are good sir.....

5L5 & 85GT stang guy, thanks for the pictures.. I have been under the car with the back half of this new brake line and your pictures do help... Unfortunately it always seems to me these reproduction lines just never fit correctly....