88 GT parts swapping

Carnivore

Apr 4, 2003
Ferndale, WA
I'm gettin my 69 coupe ready to run (after about 4 years of restoration.. It's nothing fancy, I'm just slow) and bought a 88 5.0 GT for the T5 to go behind the Ford Racing 5.0 I bought from Jegs last year. The engine is rated at about 345 HP.

My rearend is an 8" so you all think I aughta pull the 8.8" from the GT? This is beyond my knowledge so I'm kinda at the mercy of good advice from friends and you guys. I'm moving from Washington State to Tennessee this summer and plan on driving the stang so I dont really want it to essplode all over the freeway. =) I'll likely drive softly though for that reason.

I'm rather excited to finally see this car move though. =)

• Sponsors (?)

BTW, the 8.8 swap ain't easy all that easy. Keep the 8" as long as it holds up. It will be fine, especially if you don't put on wide, sticky tires. Keep the tires reasonable and they will spin before the rear breaks.

ill have to disagree on the strength of the 8" i still have one in my vert with a a t5 and a mild 302 ive broke 3 center sections in 28,000 miles next time 8.8 is going in ive ran out of spare parts but if u dont drive stupid like i tend to do u should be ok ps broke 2 doing a burnout or trying to once dropped the clutch and the pinion snapped in half :(