90 limited vs 98 cobra

• Sponsors (?)

The 7-Up cars were mistakes (no offense). 7-Up didn't live up to there end of the bargin and Ford was stuck with them, so they sold them as "Limited Edition" cars. I'm not detracting from the cars. They are nice cars just the same as any other low volume Mustang (ie '84 SVO or the orange and yellow '93 verts), but only mildly more desirable than a regular car.

The Cobra on the other hand is very desirable and always will be I think. It's a modern day "K-Code" kind of car.

I have to go with the Cobra as well. I drive a 7up car and I love it, but IMO there is really nothing all that special about 7up cars. The colour is available on later Fox bodies and the only other differentiating characteristics are the white leather interior and the GT turbine wheels (available for about 5 bucks at any wrecker) I didn't think twice about modifying mine and losing the "collector" appeal.

The cobra will be a much more collectible car in the future.

http://members.cardomain.com/uncola

How many 7-UP do you see driven around...not much, cobras are a dime a dozen. :lol: I bought mine cause it was different, cobras are nice don't get me wrong but lots of them around. A good buddy of mine has a vert cobra and when we go to a meet we usally park side by side, more people are attracted to the 7-UP.JMO

myroc said:
How many 7-UP do you driven around...not much, cobras are a dime a dozen. :lol:

I'm sorry, but rare doesn't equal valuable. They made a few bench seat Mustangs in 1965, but no one want's them. They made a few V6 Pintos in 1977, but they aren't worth anything either. What makes one car worth something and another not worth any more than a regular car is content in the car.

tjm73 said:
I'm sorry, but rare doesn't equal valuable. They made a few bench seat Mustangs in 1965, but no one want's them. They made a few V6 Pintos in 1977, but they aren't worth anything either. What makes one car worth something and another not worth any more than a regular car is content in the car.

Read the rest of my post, i bought mine because theres not a lot around i don't care about the value.

let me restate things... I have $6500 in the 90 including mods (1.7 rockers, ceramics headers, Tmoss ported intake and ported stock heads, pullies, and 3.55 gears). It will cost approx another $6500 to get the cobra.

Which would be the better investment in the long haul, dollar for doller??? :spot:

It depends on the condition of the two cars. A low mile "7up" fetches a good price. A high mile example is not worth much more than a regular lx convertible. I think more information about the two cars is needed.

90limited said:
let me restate things... I have $6500 in the 90 including mods (1.7 rockers, ceramics headers, Tmoss ported intake and ported stock heads, pullies, and 3.55 gears). It will cost approx another $6500 to get the cobra.

Which would be the better investment in the long haul, dollar for doller??? :spot:

The Cobra will still be worth more in the long run.

Both are solid number 3 cars. They are good examples of daily drivers that have be converted to weekend cars by the new owner... They have the normal chips and interior wear. The cobra is bone stock w/ the original top and leather and the 90 looks bone stock, in need of new top and already has new leather. The 90 has 93,000 miles and the cobra has 80,000...

As a side question, the 5.0 in known for its durability and i would not be concerned with running it 200,000 miles. Is the 4.6 as robust?

C

90limited said:
Both are solid number 3 cars. They are good examples of daily drivers that have be converted to weekend cars by the new owner... They have the normal chips and interior wear. The cobra is bone stock w/ the original top and leather and the 90 looks bone stock, in need of new top and already has new leather. The 90 has 93,000 miles and the cobra has 80,000...

As a side question, the 5.0 in known for its durability and i would not be concerned with running it 200,000 miles. Is the 4.6 as robust?

C

From your information, it looks as though there is an equal playing field. Similar mileage and condition. The way I see it, I think I could pick up the Auto Trader right now and find a better deal on a 96-98 Cobra than a 90 7 up convertible without having to travel. There are just too many 96-98 Cobras out there. Sure the car is faster and worth more, but that doesn't always suggest a higher price from an investment point of view. Everyone that said "Cobra" without giving a reason is not looking at this from an economic standpoint. I see the better investment to be the car that I could buy now and sell in a year or two for equal to or more than I paid for it. The Cobra is going to depreciate more in two years. Sure the Cobra will be worth more, but you have to pay more for it. What are your plans? If you get the Cobra, are you going to sell the 90? Are you going to drive the Cobra everyday and get rid of your truck? I see more people looking into getting 96-98 Cobras right now. People that could not afford them a couple years ago. That's cause the price is going down because the new Cobra is much better.

In response to your second question, the 4.6 has not been around as long as the 5.0 so we really don't know if they are going to be an durable as the 5.0. I have heard of them going to 150k, but not too many have gotten there yet. The Cobra 4.6 is a good strong block. The four bolt set up allows the thing to take a beating. I remember seeing an article in hot rod last year about the fastest 4.6. It was a Cougar that ran in the 6's. It used a 96 Cobra block. However, the 96-98 Cobras are without the internals of the 03 Cobra. Therefore, they can bee subject to failure after too much abuse.

5.0 Nostalgia said:
The Cobra 4.6 is a good strong block. The four bolt set up allows the thing to take a beating.

Cobra's are 6 bolt main blocks. THey are cross bolted in addition tothe traditional layout.

As for why the Cobra will be worth more in the long run....it has parts content that was exclusive and upgraded from garden variety cars. Cobra got a better engine with better internals and more power. It got better brakes and differently tuned suspension. It was a premium car. Premium cars will always command more money.

The 7-Up cars on the other hand were a special color combo with GT wheels on the LX body. Mechanically they are the same as any other '90 mustang V8.

tjm73 said:
The 7-Up cars were mistakes (no offense). 7-Up didn't live up to there end of the bargin and Ford was stuck with them, so they sold them as "Limited Edition" cars. I'm not detracting from the cars. They are nice cars just the same as any other low volume Mustang (ie '84 SVO or the orange and yellow '93 verts), but only mildly more desirable than a regular car.

The Cobra on the other hand is very desirable and always will be I think. It's a modern day "K-Code" kind of car.

Ford made orange '93 verts? News to me. I have seen the yellow(w/ white or black top&int, chrome ponies), white and red (both with white tops/int/ponies) limited edition verts but never an orange one.
Whachutalkinboutwillis?

supafly said:
Ford made orange '93 verts? News to me. I have seen the yellow(w/ white or black top&int, chrome ponies), white and red (both with white tops/int/ponies) limited edition verts but never an orange one.
Whachutalkinboutwillis?

Perhaps I'm wrong in calling them orange. The red cars have a very strong orange hue in them. You are correct though. They were red and yellow. For some reason when I typed that, I had orange and yellow stuck in the brain.

tjm73 said:
Cobra's are 6 bolt main blocks. THey are cross bolted in addition tothe traditional layout.

You are right. My mistake. Don't the regular Gts have 4 bolt main caps and Cobras 6 bolt?

You make a good argument in favor of the Cobra. In the far future, I think you will be right. But in the next 5 to 10 years, I would go with the 90. I just see too many 80's Hurst Olds and 442s going for more than they should. For that reason, I can't dismiss the value based on the fact that's it's only appearance mods.