94 cobra thinking of yanking the oil cooler

africamagical

Oct 28, 2007
I have a little bit of coolant seeping around the water pump to metal tube side, i think tis due to the fact the hoses arent oem, and the peices are so short regular tubing doesn't like that sharp bend.

I am thinking of just picking up some gt prebent hoses and eliminating the cooler entirely, the hard lines look like ass and have rust spots anyway.

Is there an aftermarket cooler I should consider to replace it?
Are air exchange oil coolers even worth the hassle?

thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

I don't even know why Ford put that oil cooler on there. It does virtually nothing, and adds a lot of extra tubing that's just a hassle to work around. I vote to yank it. There are plenty of engines out there making in excess of 1000hp with no oil cooler.

Kurt

Its actually an engine oil warmer too after start up to get it to optimal temp and an oil cooler. I deleted mine a few years ago to clean up the engine bay. I figured I hardly ever drive it and never road race it, so it wasn't doing much. Went and got a GT bypass hose and hooked it up to the hard coolant line. Looks much better under the hood.

I think i've been convinced It's definitely coming out; that will let me use the alt routing for the serpentine belt, so I can eliminate the need for the idler pulley i added for the smog delete.
Now the fun game of guessing belt sizes starts again.

I do agree that the Cobra oil cooler doesn't really do much, an aftermarket cooler would do better. But if you're only junking it because the hoses you have aren't a good fit, check out this thread - I found replacements for the OEM hoses that are really close.

I don't think it does anything honestly. Well except get in the way. There are cars with a lot more power than a stock Cobra and don't have hot oil problems.

Kurt