94 GT Involuntary Storage

tomc53

Aug 4, 2009
Need to know if there's something I should do with my GT given it's in a garage with about 5 feet of snow now plowed in front of it.

Very unusual 32" of Virginia snow last weekend. I plowed and moved snow until I'm ready to move south. Anyhow, had to prioritize where the snow went, and for me, the Mustang garage was the choice. Had to have the truck and our 2 daily drivers left clear.

Should be able to get it out at worst in a couple of months. We'll have one of those January thaws. Is that long enough to be concerned?

• Sponsors (?)

No. But if your really bored you could give it a fresh oil change and add some stabil to be on the safe side.
If you feel like getting it in the air to avoid flat spots, place the jack stands under the rear axle and under the front a arms. (you don't want to let the suspension droop)

I deploy (Air Force) for months on end, all the time. I put a sunvisor in the window and disconnent the battery, thats it. Never a problem. Only thing, when the snow melts and you go for a ride, ride the brakes for a bit, they'll get flash rust on the rotors, ride 'em for a block or two and they'll clean right up

wish I was out that way, I miss the snow

I deploy (Air Force) for months on end, all the time. I put a sunvisor in the window and disconnent the battery, thats it. Never a problem. Only thing, when the snow melts and you go for a ride, ride the brakes for a bit, they'll get flash rust on the rotors, ride 'em for a block or two and they'll clean right up

wish I was out that way, I miss the snow

Thanks; I wish I could ship it all to you. I hate winter because of the short days and cold weather. They get in the way of everything I like to do (outside).

You've got nothing to worry about. I was in Virginia in 95-96 when we got a similar storm. You'll be out of commission for a few weeks at most. That won't hurt your car at all, just the way it sits. If it's going to be sitting for more than a month or so, Stabil in your gas wouldn't be a bad idea, although stale gas isn't going to do much damage either. If you're tank's not full and you have a very damp garage, it would be a good idea to either fill the tank from gas cans, or add some HEET and Stabil to minimize condensation that could build up in a less-than-full fuel tank.

Don't worry about jacking it up to get it off the tires. Flat spots aren't a problem.

Worst case you'll see is a dead battery.

When I store my vert for the winter (November 1-March 31, minimum), I pull the battery, fill the tank and put Stabil in the fuel, change the oil, and store it in a garage tent (unheated) with a car cover on it and the block heater plugged in on a timer. It survives 6 months in hibernation very well this way in temps as low as -30.

I agree w/ not jacking it up especially for that short amount of time. The way tires are made today they dont flat spot like they used to. I store mine from Nov-April and all I ever do is fill up the tank put stabul in it pull the battery and cover it. Ive been doing it that way for years on different mustangs and Ive never had any problems.