95 AODE to T5 SWAP not answered

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
Ok i know every one is probably going to tell me to search cause there's alot of posts on the subject but none of them answer my questions. If i do the swap will i be able to get the key out of the switch. I know that the key lock is probably operated off of the PRNDL switch. so if it gets removed with the auto wiring harness what allows the key to come out of the switch. On the factory 5 speed cars there's a manual operated release switch on the steering column, do i need to replace this also. And do i need to replace the clutch switch under the dash with the pedal assembly. All the threads that i have read just say to replace the harness that runs from the tranny to the passanger side firewall.

• Sponsors (?)

i performed the t5 swap a few months ago.i did not have to touch the steering column.the wiring for the clutch pedal assembly is already on all mustangs.its all plug and play.you will have to widen the shifter hole on the trans tunnel.after i was finnished,my car performed great.good luck with your swap.

the key lock you are talking about is operated with a cable running to the column from the gear shifter. when you pull the shifter out you will just leave the cable where it sits. just make sure it is pulled out and you will be fine

you will need to replace the computer when you do the swap and also replace the tranny harness.

FGTF has you covered.

You might want to do the full conversion if you have doubts about the cable moving (and causing an issue).

Thanks guys, I knew i would have to change the harness, computer, pedals, etc. I was just worried about getting the key out of the switch, but you have cleared that up for me. I could do the complete swap from my totaled 95 cobra, just depends on how hard it is to pull the steering column. If its a PITA ill just pull the cable and figure out a way to make sure it stays pulled out.

Thanks alot

It's not really a PITA, I just removed that same cable a couple of weeks ago. You can drop the steering column to get to where the cable attaches to the top of the steering column. Biggest PITA was getting the cable out from under the dash, not much room there.

To drop the steering column:
1. Remove the plastic and metal panels under the column. Two bolts apiece.
2. Remove the metal dash support, another two bolts.
3. Remove the four bolts holding the steering column up. Make sure you leave one nut threaded on a bit, or you might get a faceful of steering column when it drops. ;) Scared the pants off myself the first time I dropped the steering column, it stayed up on the bolts until I bumped the steering wheel, then it slid down a few inches.
4. Remove the two bolts holding on the shifter lock and cable (one unit). Comes off easy.