95 E-Fan on 91 GT.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes and no. The stock fan does rob some power, but it also does the job of keeping the engine cool, same as an electric fan would. I believe JT was referring how your fan would likely be constantly running with the ambient temps you're exposed to down there in the desert.

Yes and no. The stock fan does rob some power, but it also does the job of keeping the engine cool, same as an electric fan would. I believe JT was referring how your fan would likely be constantly running with the ambient temps you're exposed to down there in the desert.

Matt has it exactly right. :nice:

The fan will run non-stop and you'll end up with a dead battery at some point. The stock 65 amp alt can barely break even without the draw of a fan, let alone with one.

I find that even a 130 amps are not enough in the desert (HVAC fan on high, cooling fan on high, etc).

Matt was also right on about the type of fan. For what it costs to renew the mech fan components (a bit over 100 bucks for a good clutch and a replacement metal fan blade), that goes a good ways towards an E-fan and alt upgrade. If the mech fan still works ok, I'd consider just leaving it till it needs to be upgraded however.

One other note Guero. My stock temp gauge on the fox reads 35*F too cool at 190*F. Just something consider if deciding if a component is up to par (that the gauge can read ok but things might be a little warm).

Some approximate numbers to think about...

Electric fan = 3G alternator if you want long life & reliability from your car.
The electric fan saves some HP. The stock fan's parasitic drag runs from 7-12 HP depending on who you talk to. The electric fan uses about 1/2 HP of power from the electrical system.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

Add the 30 amps the electric fan draws and you are definitely out of electrical power.

Even If I put the Alternater from the 95? Does it fit?

You bet. You will have to grind down the alt bracket a hair. Or you can get a 6G and save the grinding. The grinding takes 5 minutes.

For 3G swap info, see here. Pay particular attention to Post 20 (it's excellent).

The bigger issue would be putting your 2G into your 95. Even though you're carb and it's a toy, you'd have to do some backwards wiring on the power circuit so the circuit is protected appropriately.

I'd try to get another 94-95 Alt. Then put the best one you have in your fox and put the other one in the 95. FWIW, I try to not even bother with anything under 160 amps on the E-fan Mustangs. When your fan is running non-stop and the HVAC fan is on high, you need all the help you can get.

If you are putting a newer motor in, i beleive it already comes with a 130A alt. No need to retrofit.

I needed 130A to power my electric fan. I don't live in the desert though.