95 gt build

• Sponsors (?)

I don't get it, are you saying the 03-4 cobras are not any good?

To go spend that much money 'because it's a better base for autoX' is the most insane thing i've ever heard. So yes. In some fashion.. yep.

They aren't worth what people want for them. It's the same goddamn car minus updated looks and an IRS as the car built for the previous 20 some years before it. lmfao.

A stock 03/04 cobra, the power level, can be had EASILY, for a lot less than what that car will cost used. I see no point in buying one up front to acquire.. well.. a mildly modded 94/95 gt with an IRS and ~400 hp motor.. wtf? People think those cars are amazing.. great.. you can up the boost and make tons of power.. it still cost you 15k or more.. which, again - why not just build a proper car if it's the same damn chassis?!?!?! Who wants Fords stock bull:poo: over what they could go buy and build?

Yikes. Guess it's that special club of.. oh I own a Cobra. I used to care.. then I realized the badge on the car doesn't add HP like most honda owners claim.

To go spend that much money 'because it's a better base for autoX' is the most insane thing i've ever heard. So yes. In some fashion.. yep.

They aren't worth what people want for them. It's the same goddamn car minus updated looks and an IRS as the car built for the previous 20 some years before it. lmfao.

A stock 03/04 cobra, the power level, can be had EASILY, for a lot less than what that car will cost used. I see no point in buying one up front to acquire.. well.. a mildly modded 94/95 gt with an IRS and ~400 hp motor.. wtf? People think those cars are amazing.. great.. you can up the boost and make tons of power.. it still cost you 15k or more.. which, again - why not just build a proper car if it's the same damn chassis?!?!?! Who wants Fords stock bull:poo: over what they could go buy and build?

Yikes. Guess it's that special club of.. oh I own a Cobra. I used to care.. then I realized the badge on the car doesn't add HP like most honda owners claim.
Chill dude, each has there own opinion. The single important factor there was the IRS.
I understand the sentiment though, I have literally hand made a good portion of my engine and ECU.
The stock IRS still has to he modified to perform the way most want it to.

What is your deal? You kick the grill out of the 03-4 cobras like they are junk, I understand it's your opinion and your entitled to it but that doesn't mean they are not worth the money people spend on them, if you don't like them then don't buy one,

What is your deal? You kick the grill out of the 03-4 cobras like they are junk, I understand it's your opinion and your entitled to it but that doesn't mean they are not worth the money people spend on them, if you don't like them then don't buy one,

What makes a car with the same exact chassis as an 03/04 cobra worth 15 to 20k ? Because of the motor and IRS?

Please enlighten us.. sounds like the hype is still there on those things.. which is curious.. for 15 or 20k, do you know what kinda sn95 you could build? Or 99+? Lol. Just because it came with fords junk IRS and a decent motor doesn't make em worth 20k

What makes a car with the same exact chassis as an 03/04 cobra worth 15 to 20k ? Because of the motor and IRS?

Please enlighten us.. sounds like the hype is still there on those things.. which is curious.. for 15 or 20k, do you know what kinda sn95 you could build? Or 99+? Lol. Just because it came with fords junk IRS and a decent motor doesn't make em worth 20k
you need to chill, stop force feeding us your 'opinion '.

The 'fact' is your opinion is just that, your opinion, and not a 'fact', I could spend 15k on a lot of cars and spank a 03-4 cobras, so this conversation is a moot point, what I say'n is chill on the cobra lovers and move on to more meaningful mustang stuff.

Thanks @a91what and @General karthief for your moderation and valuable opinions.

I likewise own a '95 solid axle GT. Yes with enough money you can make it faster than an '03 Cobra, with enough money you could make it faster than a Hellcat, but it'll never do anything at autocross (neither will the Hellcat). Which was the point of op's thread.

You can swap an IRS, but it's not $1.5-$2k. There are so many parts and it's a significant enough effort that you'll probably want a donor car. So I fail to see the point, financially speaking, unless you get extremely lucky sourcing parts.

So riddle me this @RioRed95Cobra - your 95 GT (and mine) are worth about $3k private-party on KBB. You'd plan to throw $20k into it to make it 'fast' by whatever your definition of that entails. Now you're $23k in the hole on a car worth - roughly $3k (or more of course if you find someone who agrees with your definition of what it's worth). Gold plate your car for all I care if it's for your own enjoyment, just talking about what 'makes sense' financially. I'm sure I have more money in my car than I'd ever get back out.

A 2003 Cobra (KBB private party good condition) is worth about $13k. So you can spend $13k and wind up with a car that can actually run autocross, and is actually worth ... $13k, should you plan to resell it.

So yes, LOL indeed @RioRed95Cobra . Now I don't disagree that an 03 Cobra shouldn't necessarily be valued 4x a 95 GT, but the market is what it is, and those are just facts, whether you like them or not. Wish my '95 got the love it deserved even though I have no desire to sell it, but I don't mind the fact that I could pick up 3 more of them for less than $10k if I felt like it. They're an underappreciated gem.

I personally never cared for the 'new edge' mustangs myself, nor the Fox-bodies, and didn't care for the IRS in a Thunderbird I used to own, so I doubt I'll ever have an '03 Cobra. But obviously, I'm in the minority (people love the Foxes and Termis), so the advice I give others isn't filled with my own bias but rather what I believe makes the most sense for them based on what they're asking. You might try it, as well as to get along with some of the good people we have here.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
331 > 347. Small vortech, lots of MM stuff, you'll be fine. Basically my car, and it made 370 rwhp n/a, and over 550 rwhp boosted on 12 lbs.

I also have koni yellow coilovers all round, griggs tubular stuff, lots of MM, etc.. car is a blast.. edit: +1 on quarterhorse. Have one and love it.

AFR 185's, nice crane cam, Edelbrock RPM intakes, stock block 331, shaved/balanced crank, 1500g bob weight, Mahle phosphate coated flat top forged pistons/phosphate coated rings, 90mm maf, 42's, s trim @ 12 lbs, etc.. standard setup, shorty headers, offroad x, magnaflows.. no smog/ac.

Standard, tried and true setup for 2+ decades, now. Add a good suspension and brakes and it's more than enough to get in trouble with and blow off the occasional supercar with a doucher behind the wheel
Pics or it didn't happen. :p

No seriously, if you don't have a thread for your car already, you should make one. No better way to debate this setup versus that one than your own thread explaining your rationale behind the pieces and parts you chose. :nice:

For a power plant if your budget allows build a big inch Windsor motor, the kind of HP and TQ a 410 or bigger can make with a good set of heads and induction Will be more than enough to go fast around corners. Yes a 4V likes to rev and could be less weight but youd miss the TQ the W Will make. I'd build it to run NA so you don't have to worry about shredding blower belts and all that. My 410 with worked over old school Canfield cylinder heads, ported Edelbrock 351R intake, comp roller in the ,580 range made 610hp and 598tq on the dyno. At the wheels it should do 520-540ish once it's retuned. It will do over 500rwhp as I still have ac, power steering , and the cruise works. Yeah its rowdy as hell and I have a loose converter and gears but Its fast as hell
IMAG0285_zpsa9qctvrd.jpg
IMAG0357_zpsfwzoiqfp.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks @a91what and @General karthief for your moderation and valuable opinions.

I likewise own a '95 solid axle GT. Yes with enough money you can make it faster than an '03 Cobra, with enough money you could make it faster than a Hellcat, but it'll never do anything at autocross (neither will the Hellcat). Which was the point of op's thread.

You can swap an IRS, but it's not $1.5-$2k. There are so many parts and it's a significant enough effort that you'll probably want a donor car. So I fail to see the point, financially speaking, unless you get extremely lucky sourcing parts.

So riddle me this @RioRed95Cobra - your 95 GT (and mine) are worth about $3k private-party on KBB. You'd plan to throw $20k into it to make it 'fast' by whatever your definition of that entails. Now you're $23k in the hole on a car worth - roughly $3k (or more of course if you find someone who agrees with your definition of what it's worth). Gold plate your car for all I care if it's for your own enjoyment, just talking about what 'makes sense' financially. I'm sure I have more money in my car than I'd ever get back out.

A 2003 Cobra (KBB private party good condition) is worth about $13k. So you can spend $13k and wind up with a car that can actually run autocross, and is actually worth ... $13k, should you plan to resell it.

So yes, LOL indeed @RioRed95Cobra . Now I don't disagree that an 03 Cobra shouldn't necessarily be valued 4x a 95 GT, but the market is what it is, and those are just facts, whether you like them or not. Wish my '95 got the love it deserved even though I have no desire to sell it, but I don't mind the fact that I could pick up 3 more of them for less than $10k if I felt like it. They're an underappreciated gem.

I personally never cared for the 'new edge' mustangs myself, nor the Fox-bodies, and didn't care for the IRS in a Thunderbird I used to own, so I doubt I'll ever have an '03 Cobra. But obviously, I'm in the minority (people love the Foxes and Termis), so the advice I give others isn't filled with my own bias but rather what I believe makes the most sense for them based on what they're asking. You might try it, as well as to get along with some of the good people we have here.

You literally typed all that to convince yourself that a car with an IRS can magically AutoX, yet a fox or sn95 with the same rear end, CANNOT.

IT"S THE SAME (redacted- grow up.) CHASSIS, LMFAO!

And no, it wouldn't cost 20k to make it faster in every facet than an '03.. lmfao. Are you joking?? How many parts are available for 79-95's???

ROFL.. and uhh.. a used IRS in this area right now goes about 12-1500. If you have any type of working knowledge, it can be installed easily. If you had to pay a shop? Yeah, lots more.. how many people in here don't know how to work on their own freakin' cars? C'mon man.. lol. It's not rocket science.. it's a BOLT IN REAR END.

lololol.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know it's the same chassis. Your not making a point everyone does not already know.
The fact is to take a fox and add IRS will cost $2500, now do a full 5lug swap that's required with MC ect.ect., the new rims that takes plus tires. New driveshaft, trans will need beefing up or swapped... then we need to drop 2-6k on the engine (depending on your tastes) to make 400hp so we dont get outrun by a pulley swapped cobra.... subframe connectors ect...

Cost is more than you would think. I know

Sigh @RioRed95Cobra you've added so much value to this thread. It's possible to disagree with someone's well-justified opinion without sounding like an unhinged child, a point which seems lost on you.

Yeah I understand, a lot of folks don't work on their own cars, or perhaps shouldn't. Speaking of which, shouldn't you be getting back to your Vortech install that won't start for a few weeks now instead of spending your time rolling on the floor laughing?

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/95-gt-help-after-vortech-install.907310/

ROFL indeed.

Reactions: 1 users
We know it's the same chassis. Your not making a point everyone does not already know.
The fact is to take a fox and add IRS will cost $2500, now do a full 5lug swap that's required with MC ect.ect., the new rims that takes plus tires. New driveshaft, trans will need beefing up or swapped... then we need to drop 2-6k on the engine (depending on your tastes) to make 400hp so we dont get outrun by a pulley swapped cobra.... subframe connectors ect...

Cost is more than you would think. I know

Yeah, I am, apparently. It's not 2500 bucks to do an IRS swap.. nor is it that tough to do a 5 lug swap, it's not 1998.

6k on a motor to make 400hp? You people are obviously clueless.