97 5 lug axles work?

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
to convert my car to 5 lug? i know you can use 95,95 but not sure on 96-04? then to keep it drums could i just buy a new set of ranger drums and that would be about it for the rear?

reason i ask is i found a set of axles for $40 bucks local to me

DSCN0518.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Sponsors (?)

You could run drums with them also.. They will also set your wheels further out even with the fender lip..

like this:

P7150562.jpg

I got disc brakes though... But 245's seem to be the max width I can put on though. Right now it doesn't rub anywhere with the quads and 2.5" exhaust.

Ryan, I think the cheapest route for you would be to use the Lincoln rotors for the front and Ranger axles (drum brakes) for the rear. Then once you have saved up enough cash you can go all nuts with the SN95 spindles, big brake upgrades, etc...

i can get everything i need for the front for $225.00 from a 94 5.0 and thats everything for the front....

now if these will push it out a little farther...do you think i could have a 255/45/17 in the rear without any problem with a set of bullets?

what do you mean by the cheapest way for me? are you saying that i can use lincoln rotors and thats all i would have to change to have 5 lug in the front?? would bullets work with lincoln rotors??

how do the spline's look to you?

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

the measurement from just the shaft from one end to the other its 29inchs. from the floor if the axels are standing up freely then its 31inchs 1/2

Attachments

• DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN0530.jpg
    DSCN0530.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 62
I know my C clip elims had to be pressed to a different distance from the flange depending on weather or not I had disks or drums. To me it would seem like you would need the shorter axle from the ranger for the drums to work, rather than having a longer axle from an SN95 which would seem to position the flange to far away from the brake shoe.

Edit: Splines look fine for used axles, really you just need to look and see if they are start to twist.

I know my C clip elims had to be pressed to a different distance from the flange depending on weather or not I had disks or drums. To me it would seem like you would need the shorter axle from the ranger for the drums to work, rather than having a longer axle from an SN95 which would seem to position the flange to far away from the brake shoe.

Edit: Splines look fine for used axles, really you just need to look and see if they are start to twist.

so you think i would be better of waiting and finding ranger axles?

Those mustang axles if I remember correctly are 3/4 inch longer than what you need. You will have to get the brackets and brake equipment off of the same kind of vehicle and I would definitely not run anything wider than a 245 tire. I'm running 255 tires on mine with stock length axles and they are getting close.

Those mustang axles if I remember correctly are 3/4 inch longer than what you need. You will have to get the brackets and brake equipment off of the same kind of vehicle and I would definitely not run anything wider than a 245 tire. I'm running 255 tires on mine with stock length axles and they are getting close.

then im just gonna hold off and use ranger axles/drums....

now for the front is my only option really a 94,95 front setup or do i have any other options for the front?

There are a ton of sites with the conversion info. You can use Ranger and Aerostar axles but there is a specific side you have to use and get two of them due to the differential begin offset. I'm not gonna say what side I think it is on both because I'm not quite sure, would have to look itup again. If I find the stuff I have printed up on it, I will shoot you the links. They have step by step instructions for disc or drum along with parts lists

You can't run drums with those axles.

If you want drum brakes, you need to run ranger/areostar axles or aftermarket axles specified for stock fox lenght.

the only way you could use those axles is if you ran the SN95 disk setup out back. Even so, the only axles you can use are 94-98 in the rear. In 99, ford widened the rear end. The disk brake hardware is the same 94-04, but the axles are longer for the 99-04's and won't work in any 8.8 unless it's the wider 99-04 8.8 axle.

Just to recap....

5-lug drum = ranger/aerostar/aftermarket fox lenght axles
5-lug SN95 disk = 94-98 axles.

(another option is using the north race car brackets with the ranger/aero/aftermarket axles to give you SN95 disks....on fox width axles. Basically if you start out with 5-lug drum, you can upgrade to disks later on down the road by using the aftermarket bracket kit and the sn95 parts)

any more questions

There are a ton of sites with the conversion info. You can use Ranger and Aerostar axles but there is a specific side you have to use and get two of them due to the differential begin offset. I'm not gonna say what side I think it is on both because I'm not quite sure, would have to look itup again. If I find the stuff I have printed up on it, I will shoot you the links. They have step by step instructions for disc or drum along with parts lists

yeah Sn95 brakes has that info....i think the cheapest way for the back will be driver side ranger axle and passenger side areostar Axel's and drums.

for the front im not sure...boss said something about lincoln front rotors but im not sure what else is need with that from the lincoln

You can't run drums with those axles.

If you want drum brakes, you need to run ranger/areostar axles or aftermarket axles specified for stock fox lenght.

the only way you could use those axles is if you ran the SN95 disk setup out back. Even so, the only axles you can use are 94-98 in the rear. In 99, ford widened the rear end. The disk brake hardware is the same 94-04, but the axles are longer for the 99-04's and won't work in any 8.8 unless it's the wider 99-04 8.8 axle.

Just to recap....

5-lug drum = ranger/aerostar/aftermarket fox lenght axles
5-lug SN95 disk = 94-98 axles.

(another option is using the north race car brackets with the ranger/aero/aftermarket axles to give you SN95 disks....on fox width axles. Basically if you start out with 5-lug drum, you can upgrade to disks later on down the road by using the aftermarket bracket kit and the sn95 parts)

any more questions

yeah a ton.....what are my options to keep the fron cheap? seems like the cheapest route to go is a 94,95 spindle. hub, rotors, calibers, brake lines ect...i can that from a 130k 94 5.0 that is being parted for 220 plus shipping.... or are there any other options?