99 KB GT or a 03/04 Cobra?

I say Cobra all the way. ALthough your GT with that many mods would be very fast, it still won't match up to a Cobra in turning, and power will be similar. If you can BUY a cobra now, then do that. They can be had for around 21-24k if you buy one with about 40-50k miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

JohnyD05 said:
DocG2828 said:
and WTF is a Yo-Dude O/R pipe?
Hey I like the Bright yellow car. How did u get the older style wheels on the newer car? I guess i am partial to those wheels as that is what came on my car. I heard those porsches were one of the best handling cars of all time with a perfect 50/50 Weight distribution.
how'd did you get that answer from that quote? and where did the porsche come from? :rlaugh:

tomustang said:
My suggestion is to buy the 03-04 Cobra, it's forged but it has a iron block, it's has better spring rates, bushings/front control arms and stiffer rear brace, a 6 speed with a blower already

I know where you are coming from, but i have the bulllitt suspension in mine, and a full length subframes can be added pretty cheap. also i won't get crap for my car if i sell it now. And it has a solid rear, which i see as a positive and negative. For resale the cobra is def they way to go.

JohnyD05 said:
I know where you are coming from, but i have the bulllitt suspension in mine, and a full length subframes can be added pretty cheap. also i won't get crap for my car if i sell it now. And it has a solid rear, which i see as a positive and negative. For resale the cobra is def they way to go.
well just the the bullitt kit isn't going to be better than the stock 03-04 setup

are you looking for drag or smoother/better handling feel?

JohnyD05 said:
I have a 99 GT and want more power, alot more. So i am trying to decide if i want to Put a KB on my car and then at some point I will have to do a forged bottom end. I would go with 9 PSI intercooled 1.7L. OR should I sell my car probably for around 9K if i can get that (its got about 70K on it) and Buy a 03/04 Cobra thats already making 390 HP and has a very Strong engine to start. I am not sure what i would be looking at for a price of the 03/04 Cobra. Plus the cobra has a 6 speed already. What is everyones input? what kind of money are 03/04 cobras fetching?
Also the 03/04 Cobras make less power then KB 2V and are a heavier car, but it would probably be more relaible.
Does anyone have any idea what kind of money it costs to Forge a 4.6 2v?

it all depends on what your goals are and what you owe on your car. the 1.7L KB isn't going to get you the monster HP some people are making, but it can give you more than enough to have fun with. if you want to get serious, go for the 2.2L or 2.4L. as far as i know, you can't get the 2.4L for the Cobra. i could be wrong. and KB does claim that you can make more power with P&P 2V heads and aftermarket cams than the 4V heads. but is the cost of the blower+heads+cams+shortblock+fuel system etc, going to be less than the price of the Cobra+whatever mods needed to make the same power. that is the question.

Oh, one last point....keep in mind insurance. Not the cost on a monthly basis, but you spend 15k in mods on your 99...make sure you get a special policy (which won't be cheap) or you wreck it, and you got a very big paperweight. At least you wreck your Cobra, you got a new car fo fwee!

It will cost a whole LOT less to get a Cobra putting down 600hp than a GT. But factor in car payment and added insurance, and you'll end up spending considerably more $$ than you would by building your GT. I too, came close to trading in my GT for one, only to realize the losses that would come with that decision. That being said, I chose to keep mine have no regrets whatsoever.

If you have the cash, then going for the terminator is a no brainer. But think carefully and good luck.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. My car is starting to age and I'd love to have a sonic blue cobra. I'm either going to turbo mine, or get a cobra this summer and use the money I sell my car for to mod the cobra:shrug:

However, you're in a better position than I, starting off basically stock. I would suggest putting a big bore or stroker in yours with a kb. That should put you around 550rwhp and there aren't many cobras that you won't be able to take.

02LaserRed2V said:
But factor in car payment and added insurance, and you'll end up spending considerably more $$ than you would by building your GT.
I bet it wouldn't. Factor in all of the parts necessary to put a GT on par or ahead of a Cobra in all aspects, then on top of that all of the cost for time and labor involved in bringing it all together and I'll bet a higher car payment and slightly higher insurance premium is still a lot cheaper in the long run. Most just don't notice it when building up their GT, because it’s done in small increments over a long period of time. I think most of us choose to go that route because for an obvious one, we don't have the kind of cake to lay down right away on the better car and two, we all get a bit of a sense of accomplishment when we build up our cars step by step, instead of buying it as a turn key package.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I bet it wouldn't. Factor in all of the parts necessary to put a GT on par or ahead of a Cobra in all aspects, then on top of that all of the cost for time and labor involved in bringing it all together and I'll bet a higher car payment and slightly higher insurance premium is still a lot cheaper in the long run. Most just don't notice it when building up their GT, because it’s done in small increments over a long period of time. I think most of us choose to go that route because for an obvious one, we don't have the kind of cake to lay down right away on the better car and two, we all get a bit of a sense of accomplishment when we build up our cars step by step, instead of buying it as a turn key package.

he alrealy has the gt though. that bridge is already cost it is cheaper to build the gt.

I see what you are saying. I they would have the 03/04 cobra in 01 I would have bought it. the cobra in 01 was weak. not that much extra power, no 6speed. etc. in 03 it became a no brainer in a way. all that power, 6 speed.

now that I own my 01 though. I just have to do math based on out of pocket cost. I can build an euivelent if not superior car for less and eat no intrest or higher insurance. the drive train will be newer than a used cobra as well.

If I had purchased in 03 I could have bought a cobra done a hypertech tuner and a pulley and most likely been happy with the car for the most part. well and stereo. the stock one blew.

Gearbanger 101 said:

In my situation, I already have my GT not to mention the car has been paid for over three years ago. If I were to sell the GT and buy an 03 Cobra, I'd be still making car payments. I chose to not be in debt.

How come nobody but me ever mentions the fact that your insurance company is not gonna cover $15k in mods to your car without a special policy. Does no one car about losing that much money when some pencil dick t-bones you?

DocG2828 said:
How come nobody but me ever mentions the fact that your insurance company is not gonna cover $15k in mods to your car without a special policy. Does no one car about losing that much money when some pencil dick t-bones you?

I would worry about that when i actually did all the work and invested the money. I would just take whatever parts broke on the car and forcefeed them to the pencil dick who hit me. If i put that much money into it, it wouldn't be a daily driver... The probability of an accident would be much much less, but with that much power, the probability would be much greater! hehe I would look into some special insurance and have the car appraised.

It does happen though I had a friend with a 90 5 Liter with 13 thousand in parts into it. Not including labor. He crashed it on ice. And had to part it out to recover any costs that he good. Although he said he got most of the invested money back out of it, I know it wasn't all of it. So i see where you are coming from. I like working on the car though, so doing up the GT would be the fun of doing it yourself.