A/C delete and underdrive pullies

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
there is a loud whining sound coming from under my hood, and it gets louder as the rpms go up, im assuming its my a/c compressor, so i was going to get an a/c delete and some underdrive pullies while im at it. anyone have any posetive or negetive feedback on these two items? oh and anyone know what else that whining sound could be?

• Sponsors (?)

That loud whining could be your power steering pump headed out to door. Open the hood up and try and pin-point it. Check you power steering fluid as well.

I have U/D pullies with the FMS A/C eliminator kit... no problems here.

Tim

i dont know what the whining is but for the a/c delete i never heard of any problems. i am also looking into one. i have march u/d pullys but have not put them on yet. i hear that you may have a problem charging while at idle because the alt and also may have heating problems. however, not everyone has experienced these problems. i know people that have them and do not have any problem. if you are worried about the charging you can get a larger alt and also do not replace the alt pulley

I have both, March under drive pullies and the A/C eliminator pulley and they help. But it will not be as noticeable as lets say a gear would be. When you buy under drive pulles you will get three, one for the crank, one for the alternator and one for the coolant pump. Don't install your alternator one because you will have some minor charging problems, especially if you have a sound system. Just use the crank and water pump one.

jmd2914 said:
the whining is really loud, it almost sounds like a turbo spooling. so if i do underdrive pullies only use the one for the water pump and crank? dont use the one that comes for the alternator?

Take your belt off and turn your accessories by hand. Try the power steering pump, the altenator, and the idler pulley and see which one is making the noise. Also, I run all 3 underdrive pulleys and have no charging issues with the stock altenator. I don't have a radio or hvac, but I do have an electric fan and a bottle heater to power. I even have a 2" race crank pulley that I've run on the street a few times.. voltage drops pretty low at idle, but it's never died on me. You mileage may vary of course.

i have a/c delete, mac underdrive pulleys, and no smog pump. no charging issues at all. and noticed a huge difference i went from a 14.2 to a 13.7 at the track. but keep in mind my 60 ft time went from a 2.1 to a 1.9. but my mph went from 97 to 100. noticibly different power too. engine bay looks way better, and lots more room to work now.