A/C delete kit ??'s

Sevan

Founding Member
Dec 4, 2001
IL
Whats up guys,

Hopefully everyone is having a good weekend :nice: I am in the process of removing my A/C unit and need some help. Do I need an A/C delete kit? If so what do I need. How much weight will I lose with eveything out? I have a stock 1989 LX, tweaked a bit :D . Is it easy to remove the A/C? Any info. is appreciated. Would like to make process easy as possible.

Thanks
:flag:

Is this what I need??? See Pic

• Sponsors (?)

its easy, just unbolt it and yank it out. the lines that go to the condensor in front of the radiator require a special tool to get off. but a good pair of dykes will take care of those lines in no time. no you dont need an a/c delete kit, but you will need a shorter belt. id recommend getting the a/c delete kit that moves the power steering pump up.

but will i gain any power with the delete kit? i am trying to keep this cheap as possible. I am even thinking about cutting the ac lines with cutters from the condensor cuz i a mgoing to junk everything.

i mean, the a/c spins freely when its not on so its not robbing any power....but it kills when it is on. id just run a shorter belt or get that pully you found and do it that way. which ever way is cheaper

i looked at the bracket that holds the a/c and p/s units, the p/s will not be effected if the a/c unit is removed. from the looks of it i probably can get away by not using the delete kit :nice:

i have tired different sizes of belts and i have found a combo that elements the a/c where the belt is closer to the water pump but i did not run into and rubbing issuses

here is a pic:
541302_8_full.jpg

That's funny looking. Just buy the A/C Eliminator kit from Ford, it relocates the power steering up to where the unit used to be. You'll need a 745K6 belt from Autozone. I'm running a 747K6 and it's actually pushing towards being a touch too long because my tensioner is almost completely "opened" i guess you'd say, it's almost as "tensioned" as it'll get the belt, basically meaning a slightly shorter belt would be ideal. A 745K6 should be about perfect, but i'd suspect you could get a 740K6 and just have to tug on the belt a little to get it over the pullies, but once it warms up some it'll stretch some and be easier to get on/off.

That pully in the pic, no offense, but it's sort of a waste of time. You've got this huge bracket that's doing nothing but what the A/C unit used to do, and it's HUGE. You're not gaining any space with that setup either. The eliminator kit from Ford is 2 pieces, one small chunky piece of aluminum that goes against the head, and a metal plate that attaches to the PS pump....it's all stock on non AC cars.

ok, if i did use the ac delete kit would i have to modify anything when the ps unit moves up? Like the hose? when the ps unit is moved up will the hose be long enough?

Anyone have pics of the delete kit?

Can I get away with just moving the radiator forward once the radiator bracks are loose without completly removing it to pull out the ac condenser?