A fork in the road

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
I never wanted to make this thread, but I think it's fair, and in my best interest.

As some of you may know, I'm in my graduating year of my undergrad degree. In weighing out my options for the next chapter in my life, I'm coming up with several directions in which to take.

One of the more promising directions is a 12 month MBET program at the 'other' university in my city. The acronym stands for Masters of Business Entrepreneurship and Technology. I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit, and I've had my hand in trying to startup around six companies (none of them worth mentioning...they say it takes you 10 tries to get it right :eek: ). Also, this is a premier school, and a relatively new (but quickly expanding) program that offers a lot of networking experience with local businesses (think: RIM (blackberry)).

Another direction is to dive deeper into webdesign directly. Either applying to a local firm, or going to a graphic design school to learn further about design. Granted, I could also combine this with the MBET).

Here's the problem with the first direction:

It costs $26,000.

I don't believe that I could justify keeping two cars on the road if I went with the MBET. Either that, or I would have to start earning a lot more than I am currently. Being in school, however...I don't see that as being possible right now.

Sadly, I think the mustang would be the car I would have to kill, in this case. The Audi can go all year. The stang can't. I wouldn't want to do that to it.

Here's the second problem:

The mustang couldn't be saftied or e-tested and pass. By my calculations it will take $1500-2000 to get it where it needs to be for a sale. And by then, maybe I'll get $9k?

Therefore I would get around $7000 for selling the car, plus all the work it will take me (more money, and a whole lot of hours).

But then as soon as I get it running correctly, I won't want to sell it anymore :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Get a job with your degree in hand and start working in a field...either one you want to open a business in or one that will pay for the classes. Let the job cover most of the costs and get some exp. in the field/under your belt. Learn on someone elses dime.

I wish I would have gotten a job MUCH sooner with the company I work for now and had them pick up the school tab....I would be ALOT further along in life if I had job exp. (promotions) and lesser student debt (not much for all I have but less is less).

Duncan, I seem to recall that you have a tie to your school - is that institution simply exhausted of anything that's useful to you? I've never been one to really care about the exact degree (I never considered something super-niche like you're considering though). I'd be all about doing a Masters and doctorate work if you have an 'in' where you're at. I'm poor and cheap though.

BlkSN makes some very nice points with regard to on-the-job furtherance however. :nice:

If the stang looks like a lost cause, could you put it back to stock (getting your issues fixed in the process) and sell the parts you remove from it?

I'm glad I could clear that up for you. :rolleyes: :notnice: Best of luck with the decisions. :nice:

Is the audi paid for? How about the mustang? IF it was me and I could swing it I would sell the audi, buy a $2500 beater, and keep the mustang. This is all with the idea the mustang is paid for and the audi isn't. They key to that plan is finding a beater that will last about 2-3 years at that price. That way possibly your payments could go down, and still have a daily.

Duncan, I seem to recall that you have a tie to your school - is that institution simply exhausted of anything that's useful to you? I've never been one to really care about the exact degree (I never considered something super-niche like you're considering though). I'd be all about doing a Masters and doctorate work if you have an 'in' where you're at. I'm poor and cheap though.

BlkSN makes some very nice points with regard to on-the-job furtherance however. :nice:

If the stang looks like a lost cause, could you put it back to stock (getting your issues fixed in the process) and sell the parts you remove from it?

I'm glad I could clear that up for you. :rolleyes: :notnice: Best of luck with the decisions. :nice:

Thanks JT. I will probably pursue another degree at Laurier (where I am at now), but as of the moment, they don't have a program that really interests me.

Most of the work I've done to the car isn't something I can put back to stock (i.e. paint, clutch, suspension). I'd rather sell it to someone that appreciates the car for what it is, even if that means waiting for the right buyer.

If I do indeed have a blown HG, I'll be rebuilding the motor, or if possible...putting in a GT40 engine. This should be the 'last step' for the car, before it is basically complete. If I do it well, and the car runs how it should, I would probably try to sell for 10k. If I sell.

Is the audi paid for? How about the mustang? IF it was me and I could swing it I would sell the audi, buy a $2500 beater, and keep the mustang. This is all with the idea the mustang is paid for and the audi isn't. They key to that plan is finding a beater that will last about 2-3 years at that price. That way possibly your payments could go down, and still have a daily.

The Audi is paid for. As is the mustang. I paid them off when I had summer jobs. As of right now, I don't have much income save for my part time job. The Audi is the winter beater. I bought it for $3000 last winter.