A teacher once told me there was no such thing as a stupid question...

farbyhardcore

Oct 5, 2004
East Coast
I always hear that mustangs are high rpm vehicles and they like high rpm's. What does everyone shift at for normal street driving? I've been shifting between 2,500 and 3,000. But for some reason I keep hearing 5,000. Anyone have any input?

• Sponsors (?)

farbyhardcore said:
I always hear that mustangs are high rpm vehicles and they like high rpm's. What does everyone shift at for normal street driving? I've been shifting between 2,500 and 3,000. But for some reason I keep hearing 5,000. Anyone have any input?

I usually notice I shift at 3000 or 3500 when I don't have my lead boot on...

yea 5500 is best for your mods. And like billfish said, thats the limit, but it does seem to yield the best MPH at the track.
EDIT lol, 1500-3500 is the norm for street driving...-3K gives the best gas milage...but a 3500 shift seems to make the next gear feel real good and the car wants to go.

No, a little four cylinder like a Honda S2000 is a high revving car and likes teh high rpms.

The Mustang is an off-the-line torque monster whose powerband is steady throughout the rpm range. She just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling :D

"normal street driving" =2800-3200 just driving from A to B.

or....

3500-4500 when i want to let people hear the loudmouth

i dont take it over 5k unless im racing or just wanna let her loose for a second.

it's just that the modular mustangs hit their power band at a higher rpm and can rev higher than the 5.0 liter that is why you'll hear people shifting anywhere from 5500-6500 rpm when racing other wise it varies anywherefrom 1800-4500rpm on a street shift

Kilgore Trout said:
The Mustang is an off-the-line torque monster whose powerband is steady throughout the rpm range. She just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling :D

LOL! This is the first time I have ever read that the 4.6 is an off the line torque monster.

Don't take offense, but it is far from an off the line torque monster. Try driving my 428CJ, and you'll know what an off the line torque monster is. The thing spins tires at 2500 rpm shifts and it is bone stock.

Maybe when you compare to some of the imports, yes agreed, but not compared to other V8's. Try taking an LS1 for a spin sometime.

This thread is wack...

image017.jpg

Seriously... for normal driving, I shift at 2000 when next to a cop, 3000 when I'm in a passive mood, 4000 when I'm listening to rock music, 5000 when I'm listening to ICP and 5800 when I'm racing the ricer next to me.

:banana: