? about t5 tranny/drive shaft and fluids

jae902

Feb 11, 2003
Just dropped in my motor and t5 tranny. I also have the drive shaft that came with the tranny from a 88 gt. Thinking that it would be long and probably need to be shortened, i went to place it in and it fit perfectly. The yoke was out about 1 inch and the thing lined up perfectly. Is that right? For some reason i thought that it would have to be shorten. Also, what weight oil should i be pouring in the t5 tranny, and about how many quarts does it take?

• Sponsors (?)

Like ozstang65 and 68stang351 said, the T-5 uses ATF, not gear oil. I recommend; however, that you run a synthetic in the tranny, like Royal Purple. Yes it costs more, but you only have to get 3 quarts and it's well worth it.

-Shaun

So does the t5 use dexron/mercon III or ATF, cause i know they sell both. What about the driveshaft fitting perfectly in there? Is anyone else using the same driveshaft, did it also fit perfectly in there?

Its dexron/mercon III

I don't know how a driveshaft out of an 88 could fit, because I have one leaning up against the fence, right next to a spare driveshaft for my 68 with a T5, and its waaay shorter.

But if it fits, it fits. An inch is about right on the yoke, so you should be ok.

I was mistaken, i knew that the 8.8 shaft didn't fit with the swap. I put in my old drive shaft thinking that it was the 8.8. The 8.8 shaft is alittle too short for this application. Sorry for any confusions.

jae902 said:
I was mistaken, i knew that the 8.8 shaft didn't fit with the swap. I put in my old drive shaft thinking that it was the 8.8. The 8.8 shaft is alittle too short for this application. Sorry for any confusions.

Ok, I gottcha!!

When I first did my swap, and still had the 6 cyl rearend, the original 6 cyl. 3 speed driveshaft was the perfect length for my windsor and the T5.

SandSprite said:
If you have a t5-z or a t5 with the carbon fiber blocker rings ( i think they were in 92-93 5.0s), you are NOT supposed to use synthetic.....

http://www.carbdford.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1332&highlight=t5+atf+fluid

don't shoot the messenger..... :)

Glad you found that. So what trannys does this apply to? I was planing on running Royal Purple, but if I have carbon fiber parts in my tranny and sythentic oil disolves them, then old ATF it is. It's from an 87 GT.

-Shaun

68stang351 said:
Ok, I gottcha!!

When I first did my swap, and still had the 6 cyl rearend, the original 6 cyl. 3 speed driveshaft was the perfect length for my windsor and the T5.

Ok, so now i've got both drivelines. I took the yoke off the 8.8, then i took the yoke off the original one. The 8.8 yoke is alittle bit bigger, and uses bigger u joints. Can i even interchange them, what u joints do i need. Is this the same t5 yoke that mustangsplus sales for the conversion, or is it different?

well according to this:
http://www.ddperformance.com/Trans ID chart.htm

only 92-93 5.0 and ford motorsport trannies (service replacement) (any thing with a 'd' note) has the carbon fiber 3/4 blocker. it looks like the t5z doesnt have them, but i'm not sure how inclusive this database is. according to the post on carbdford, it affects the later t-5's made by tremec (tremec bought the tranny side of BW). So i dunno. I think regular old Mercon/Dextron III ATF should be fine.
I know a lot of people like synthetic for some reason, but I am not convinced yet. Most of these motors and trannies we work with were designed before synthetic, so it wasn't exactly planned for. Plus it costs more......