Acceleration problem above 3k rpm

matthewdhunt78

Jul 31, 2009
I am borrowing my dad's 93 LX Special Edition that's been sitting for a while. He's had this problem before and it was fixed at a shop but the problem came back again. The only mods are mufflers and a cheap higher flow air inlet tube. The car had an off road H pipe but the cats were put back on recently. The car starts and runs fine but when you give it more throttle and it gets to around 3,000 rpm it doesn't seem to have any power. It will slowly accelerate up and seems to cut out sputter a bit. My uncle is a mechanic and thought before a shop fixed it that the timing isn't advancing. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this myself? Does something need to be replaced to not have this problem again? Thanks for any help.

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

1st do a KOEO test and see if it has any codes. It could be many things but some of the top my head ideas. Dirty fuel filter, weak fuel pump so you would have to varify FP, a bad igntion coil will flatten the motor out at higher rpms. have you also checked the plugs ?, also check the cap and rotor. It's a matter of process to hunt it down, do the easy before going big.

Everything green said plus check the distributor and timing. Sounds like its not advancing. Could be a bad module or (I have seen this twice) someone forgot to put the resistor back in after adjusting timing.

clean the MASS AIR! and the sputtering is probably plugs shot from the mass air being an oily dirty dumpster of a sensor. just get the mass air cleaner take the filter off spray the little wires inside the housing and i bet the problem goes away and if its got a k&n filter you oiled it too much throw it in the dumpster.

A few years ago my car did the exact same crap yours does, it was a bad TFI module. I didnt have any codes or anything; I took the TFI off and I tested at a parts store a bunch of times to get nice and hot; it passed every time. I went with my gut and replaced it anyway, then the car finally ran like its supposed to.

Fixed

Cleaning the mass air seems to have fixed the problem, we'll see. Thanks for the input guys. I went and checked the plugs to make sure they were ok and the gap was .80, that probably doesn't help either. New plugs now too and found several broken vacuum tubes. On to the next fix.