accident

Jarrett

May 16, 2010
Seattle
soo... almost 3 years ago my girlfriend locked up the brakes going 70 and slammed into a guys company workvan. my 90 lx convertible was totalled, he drove off and didnt say he had any injuries. i showed up and broke my hand punching the **** out my totalled first super clean car ever in front of the cops, then my girlfriend just got a speeding? ticket. i did not have insurance, his insurance called a couple times clamimng that he had injuries and then i never heard from them again.

last week my insurance company that i now have called my girlfriend saying that they have a lawyer calling them saying that hes has injuries? insurance said they will get back to me with more info and i still havent heard from them

how screwed am i? im all frazzeld out i finally got out of debt and was saving money for mods and now im all stressed out thinking im going to be sued

should i go talk to a lawyer or take out all my money in the bank and move to hawaii?

Image1-1.jpg

RIP

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't want to risk someone else wrecking your car, don't let anyone drive it.

Control your anger and you won't have anymore broken hands.

If I read this right and you didn't have any insurance at all, then that was just stupid.

Making bad decisions only results in bad outcomes.

Make better choices in life and yours will get better.

As for the guy making a claim NOW on your NEW insurance... won't happen. If he refused treatment at the scene, he gave up the right to come back on you. At least that's what happened to me. I tapped a lady in the rear with my work truck years ago and she refuesed treatment at the scene and then tried to come after me later... NOPE, too late... she coudn't do anything. All she got was her car fixed by the insurance company of the place I worked.

If you don't want to risk someone else wrecking your car, don't let anyone drive it.

Control your anger and you won't have anymore broken hands.

If I read this right and you didn't have any insurance at all, then that was just stupid.

Making bad decisions only results in bad outcomes.

Make better choices in life and yours will get better.

As for the guy making a claim NOW on your NEW insurance... won't happen. If he refused treatment at the scene, he gave up the right to come back on you. At least that's what happened to me. I tapped a lady in the rear with my work truck years ago and she refuesed treatment at the scene and then tried to come after me later... NOPE, too late... she coudn't do anything. All she got was her car fixed by the insurance company of the place I worked.

yeah i know. i was young and dumb and was trying to get through life making minimum wage. times were hard.

so this lady you dealt with, she claimed injuries with medical examination paperwork and they shunned her in court cause she denied treatment at the time of the accident?

ive been reading and i saw that doesnt necesarily hold up in court cause the person could of been in adrenaline shock.

also who are they most likely to come after? me the owner of the car with no insurance or my girlfriend the driver who has insurance but not on that vehicle?

we tried asking her isurance if they could do anything and we got nothing.

i am soo stressed out. i think this effing cable guy probably got laid off and is trying to make a buck from an accident THAT HAPPENED ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO. and here i am after 4 years of making **** money busting my ass off as a eletrician and am finally making decent money to feed my family and have a home that isnt a low income apartment complex. im a peace worker now i dont get paid hourly so i pretty much bust my ass for 12-16 hours 5-7 days a week just to make 43k a year. and some ****ing lazy ass fat cable guy is gonna try to ruin my life.

sorry for the vent i have no other place to. :nonono:

Some lady rearended me in the stang and pushed me into a car in front. Me and the car in front were at a stop and she hit me going about 30-40. I didn't hurt for a couple hours after the accident, but while I was on the phone with my insurance setting up the claim, I told them that I was probably going to go to the ER, my clutch leg hurt pretty bad and I was starting to shake. My insurance handled everything from that moment on, I didn't have to pay a dime at the ER, just fill out some accident paperwork, then they went after the other person's insurance co, got a nice payout for the stang, as well as $4k payout for being injured, and free chiro visits twice a week for a few months.

So it sounds like he did have injuries right after the accident, insurance co attempted to contact you, but lost interest when they knew they couldn't collect from a poor kid, who would probably just declare bankruptcy immediately ( can you do that with court decisions?). Now they know you're signed on to an insurance co and are trying to make some money that way.

They cannot collect from your insurance company that you are with now. Since you had no insurance they will have to come after you directly.

Yes, they can't collect from your new insurance company, but they can still come after you.

Chances are they will. Even though it's been some time, the claim was filed after the accident. How strong a case the guy has depends on what evidence he has that he had a delayed injury. They DO happen. Not all the later claims are people trying to collect $$$

My girlfriend was rear-ended a little over a year ago ironically by a kid in a fox body mustang. The fox was smashed up but her Edge barely had a scratch. Her daughter got a few bruises and she bumped her head. She said she felt fine and the car wasn't even really damaged. I suggested she get checked out anyway and took the ambulance ride.

A few days later she was basically out of work and on pain pills because her back was so sore. It was amazing because the night of the accident she was walking and feeling fine and then she basically had a week of severe pain and feeling stiff. I felt so bad for her. A year later, she still goes to physical therapy twice a week and i give her massages to try and help out. She filed a claim right after the accident and got a lawyer. Basically, until her physical therapy and trips to the doctor are done, they wont do anything. So once she is deemed "healed", then the lawyer will go after pain and suffering and all that jazz. So basicall this other kid doesn't know what is going on, but one day in the future he will get notice from his insurance company that my g/f's lawyer is going after them for damages (which in this case i think is justified)

My father was also HIT by a car while working a construction detail by a guy was underinsured. Same deal happened although this was a serious accident. 3 years of rehab and pain first...and then finally went to sue a guy who basically hid his assets and claimed he was broke. Finally in the end the insurance company had to pay my dad a settlement and then went after the guy on their own. No idea how that is playing out.

So that could be why they waited so long, and yes, someone could walk away from an accident fine and be in pain the next day. To be honest, i prob would "man up" and say i'm fine and refuse treatment....but in reality i should prob take an ambulance ride if someone ever cracks my car up pretty good.

So yeah...someone will come after you...eventually. Even if they have no case at all, you will need to fork over lawyers fees and such.