Advice on engine rebuild

mustangjz29

Aug 13, 2009
I've had my '87 5.0 sitting in my garage since three years ago when I blew the head gasket. We recently started to rip the engine apart to make sure it was head gasket and to try to fix it. The compression test was OK on cylinders 1-4, but 5-8 showed something definitely wrong, in fact cylinder #6 didn't even register. Well when we pulled the heads off I did notice the gasket was blown; however, we also noticed the gaping hole in the piston #6 (detonation?):

My question is what is the most budget friendly way to go about fixing this? Is it possible to just replace that piston or do I need a new long block? I've already bouight a fel-pro gasket kit.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the piston is that damaged, can't tell extent of damage because there arn't any pics, it's likely it damaged other components or the block. Did the motor run at all before you stopped diving it, ie after the head gasket went? If a large piece of the piston did get destroyed, it would have circulated with the oil, scratching the block and destroying the bearings. In that event, the block would have to be machined and damaged components replaced. Cheapest solution would be to just buy a new motor from a junkyard or off an advertisment in craigslist or sumthin. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

The motor did run after the head gasket went, it even started three years sitting in the garage. I've contacted a mustang junkyard already figuring I'd have to replace the whole block. Here is a picture anyway...

5496_843819931019_8808267_48103342_8049365_n.jpg

thanks!