AFR 225s for 408 stroker???

fast50hz

May 26, 2002
Alright i need some help before I go and order these heads. They will be going on

4340 forged eagle crank
4340 forged eagle Rods
Forged JE pistons
around 10.5:1 compression

-I want this to be a very aggressive street motor and my goal is 500rwhp and 500 rwtq. I will drive the car probably 3-4 times a week maybe 200 miles per week total. I also plan to visit the strip at least twice a month. I live in Michigan so i only drive my car april through september so I would like it to be a little more on the radical side, with a pretty aggressive cam.

To acheive this I want to run :

FTI custom tight lash solid street roller cam.
Demon carb
At least 1 7/8 long tubes
Victor JR intake

Do you guys think that the AFR 225s are to big for this motor? Would the 205s be better for it? How will the 225s effect the low end torque, vs the 205s? I know this is a stroker and it should make some monsterous torque down low anyway but i want to make sure before I buy the heads.

Thanks any help is very appreciated, I am ready to buy these heads now and get this motor together. :D

Fast50hz

• Sponsors (?)

The 225's are a very good choice for that motor, you could also get away with a Super Victor on the large cube stroker. You may want to think about a 2" header also....

Thats good to know because these were the heads that I have been wanting all along. I knew that they are an excellent head I just wanted to make sure that they would not kill my low end. I was planning on running at least an 17/8 header, but really wanted a set of kooks 2inch , but arent they at least $800 for coated i think? What kind of numbers would i be looking at with this combo. I also plan on having a 150 shot just in case. Also what are all you stroker guys doing for your fox body cars to keep them from twisting. Are you running subframes and a cage?

Your going to want to put a cage, subframes, TQ box, and good suspension parts on the car to keep it going straight. A good rear would be a smart addition as well.

A set of uncoated Kooks from a dealer I know is arouind $600 plus $250 or so for coating, a set of Stainless Steel can be had for a little under $900.

You'll have no lack of low end with that motor, you must be running a big dish to get the compression down that low, a flat top usually put it in the 11.5:1+ range.

You could always build something like mine :D http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/615936/6

I'm in the process of building my own windsor

74 block, put 4 bolt mains on 2,3,4
caststeel crank
billet I beam rods
forged pistons 4340
10.3 compression ratio with 60cc heads

I'm going to use the AFR 205's and should be between 525 and 550 hp. I'm going to use the victor jr and 1 3/4 headers comp cams. My car will be more street friendly than yours but thats what I want. If I was you 225's super victor jr. and 2'' headers

Rick 91GT- I like your setup, it is very racey. I dont think I want to put that much of a cage in my car though, I was thinking about some like an 8 or a 10 pt. , maybe on of those kits that are ready to be held and weld. Does anyone know of any good kits like i know wild rides offers kits, competition engineering offers kits i think too, does anyone have any opinions. What do you think a shop would charge to weld in a cage? Hopefully one of these cage kits along with subframes, and torgue box reinforcements would make my car ready for the 408.

skip nay- I was also considering the afr 205s, i know some people use them on 408s, but alot of people use 225s, I wonder what the difference would be on my motor between the two. I thought that AFR recommended the 205 used on 351-393 engines. So i still wonder why they would be put on a larger motor. I know some people like to run a little smaller head on there motor because they think it helps torque.

I am located in southern Michigan. Do you think i should do a cage or a rollbar? 6 or 8 Pt? I do not know what is the bare minimum for a fox with this amount of power. If i get it to hook, i dont want to twist my car. Yeah i was think that through the floor subs are the way to go.

Also where would you buy the AFRs from, I was thinking AD Performance, i think they are 1925.00 shipped. I dont really want to wait a month to get them.

Fast50hz

fast50hz said:
I am located in southern Michigan. Do you think i should do a cage or a rollbar? 6 or 8 Pt? I do not know what is the bare minimum for a fox with this amount of power. If i get it to hook, i dont want to twist my car. Yeah i was think that through the floor subs are the way to go.

Also where would you buy the AFRs from, I was thinking AD Performance, i think they are 1925.00 shipped. I dont really want to wait a month to get them.

Fast50hz

I'd buy the AFR's from myself :D

If you need a good chassis shop check out www.teamzmotorsports.net Dave does awesome work, just tell him I sent you ;)

fast50hz said:

Fast50hz

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=52&y=13

http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=53&fcmd=item&inmake=all

tfs-52400003_w.jpg

Through summit the "R" heads are $1570, through JD's they are $1480. Have summit price match and you'll be at $1490 shipped. Just an option.
mike.

BTW, I must have been cocked last night, dont even remember replying to this thread. :cheers:

Attachments

• tfs-52400003_w.jpg
    tfs-52400003_w.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 189
5.0 HOtrain- I looked at the R heads, and they seem to be a good head, and it looks like they gave you good dyno numbers. Dont you need a special type of piston for those heads or is that just twisted wedge heads? I might be interested in them if they offered them in 58cc. And I think that i would have to spend more to have them upgraded with springs for a solid roller cam.
But thanks for the option and replying to the thread. :D

Rick 91GT- Are you an AFR dealer? What is your businesses website? Do you think you can hook me up with a set of 225s for anywhere under $1925.00 shipped if so that would be sweet. Also if you can how long before i got them if i ordered them on Monday?

Fast50hz

I keep reading this and wondering still what would be better for my application

225s-AFR’s new 225cc is the perfect choice for 347 through 427 CI windsors engines operating between 4500 to 8500 rpm.

or

205s-AFR’s new 205cc is the ultimate choice for 331 through 392 engines operating from 3500 RPM to 8000 RPM.

How much better for me with my application would it be to go for the 205 the power band is 1000 lower for the 205 and I dont plan on ever reving to 7500 let alone 8500, so would it be better for me to get the 205? Being driven aggresively on the street and a few times a month at the track wouldnt i benefit from having the 205 more than the 225?

can someone elborate on this, am I wrong thinking this way? If so educate me thanks

Fast50hz

If you want to keep the revs under 7000 rpm you wouldn't hurt power with a 205.

Ed could grind the cam to work with either head, and make good power. You mention in one of your earlier posts you would make it a little more on the radical side, so I suggest a 225, healthy soild roller and a Super Victor. I would rather see the larged head on the bif Windsor along with a little more compression.

fast50hz said:
5.0 HOtrain- I looked at the R heads, and they seem to be a good head, and it looks like they gave you good dyno numbers. Dont you need a special type of piston for those heads or is that just twisted wedge heads?

You need a TFS specific piston. I run a hydro roller and the springs that came with the heads. I had mine milled a little to get compression where I wanted. As far as #'s, from 5600-6700 the motor was making 555+ fwhp. I shifted at 6000-6100 at the track when I should have shifted around 6800-7000. At 3300lbs I got a shakedown pass of the #'s above, 126.66mph isnt too shabby. FWIW, that was my 12th ever dragstrip pass.
mike.