Afraid to do selftest for eec....last time i fried the computer

Last time i tried doing the self test for the eec i fried it. I know what i did IF it was my fault though. I found the big connector for the eec test but just overlooked the small 1-pin connector. So i searched around in that same general area and found another one pin connector.......i jumped this wire to the eec signal return instead........result, everytime i drove my car for more than 15 min......it took 4 hours of cooling downb efore it would restart. Shop said computer was fried, bought a new one and SHAZAAM! lol it fixed THAT problem. When i jumped the wrong ones, the test light i used stayed on continuously....then i pulled one of the jumper wires loose and the car died. Did i fry my computer? After that i found the CORRECT self test input wire and jumped it to the signal return but got the same result (test light stayed on continuously) Should i chance the test again or is my cars wiring screwed up?

• Sponsors (?)

Draginmadd said:
go to Auto Zone and buy a code scanner.there cheep and u dont have to monkey around with a test light.easy to use and the book that comes with it is pretty good.

Good plan.

If the jumper wire/paper clip procedure has you uneasy, just buy a cheap scanner. They are reasonbly Murphy proof and work well.

Dumping the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light works great and I’ve used it for years. However, with a 14 year old car, it is possible that some of the wiring may not be as it is supposed to be.