after head swap starting problems

MY86GTVERT

I am Adam Sandler's GAY brother!
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Harrisburg, PA
i swaped on a pair of e7 heads on my capri after i blew a head gasket. now it wont start. it cranks but wont fire up. it sputters and sounds like it wants to start but it wont.

now i was told when i took out the pushrods that i needed to readjust the valves.

another problem might be the firing order. there was a firing order on the back of the holley intake that is on it. the #1 wire is marked on the distributor. does the distributor spin clock wise or counter clock wise? i put the wires back on as if the distributor spun clock wise.

i tried starting fluid, that doesnt work either.

anything else anyone can think of?

• Sponsors (?)

ok double checked the the distributor does turn counter clockwise, thanx HOtrain. so i redo the wires in the correct order. and it starts!!! but it runs really really really ruff. is it the valves out of adjustment?

MY86GTVERT said:
ok double checked the the distributor does turn counter clockwise, thanx HOtrain. so i redo the wires in the correct order. and it starts!!! but it runs really really really ruff. is it the valves out of adjustment?

Did you check to see if you were off a tooth on dist? Will run if you are, but very badly. Good luck, sounds like you're making some progress.
mike.

did you make sure you put all the grounds back on correctly and make sure the connections where clean? what about the vacume hoses for the intake and such? it sounds to me that maybe you forgot a vacume hose or ground cable. good luck

casey

i did take off the intake but i didnt take off the dist, either way i didnt mess w/ the timing.

all the grounds are correct, hah i didnt put the main ground (the one on the head) on tight enuff and a huge pop, i thought something blew up.

firing order... there was a firing order on the holley intake 15426378, i think thats what it was. but like streetstang said i remember there is a different firing order for HO and non HO. didnt ford start the HOs in 86? i think so. im gonna go try the non HO firing order.

79056.jpg

is that the firing order i want? the picture isnt labeled

sirsureshot39 said:
u know how?

found a thread here on stangnet that showd u how...

In order to adjust the preload, the lifter must be properly located on the base circle or "Heel" of the lobe.

At this position the valve is closed and there is no lift taking place. You will need to watch the movement of the valves to determine which lifter is properly positioned for adjusting.
1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder that you are going to set the preload on.
2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm. (Why? Because when the exhaust valve is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe, the correct position for adjusting the intake.)
3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so. (If you are installing brand new lifters they will be in the neutral position when they come in the box.)
4. Now spin the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to one full turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.
5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. (Again, when we see the intake almost closed, we are sure that exhaust lifter is on the base circle of the lobe.) Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.
6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

seems complicated, but we'll see