after market steering wheel?

GRGT1994 said:
Like I said above, the difference you see is a factor of the flash. I have driven the car many days in full sun (top down), overcast, etc. , and have had plenty of opportunity to compare the color match in real world lighting conditions. I'm very anal in this regard too. And trust me, it is an absolute match. In the picture, you will notice how different materials absorb or reflect light (especially camera flash) differently. But in person, it looks like a factory part.

Well I hate to be the one to tell you this...but the 99+ dark charcoal color is much lighter than the 94-98 black color, and the FR500 uses Dark charcoal.

Steve Turner from 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford put the FR500 wheel in his car (98 Cobra with black interior) but he used his factory airbag cover on the FR500 wheel...and you can definetly see a big difference.

• Sponsors (?)

i've got the momo wheel from max motorsports. the color is pretty much on, the airbag is non-exsistent as is the cruise buttons(have to relocate) and the wheel doesn't cover the hole for the steering column covers. other than that it feels great and looks good. i will work out the covering issue and paint the column covers later. i'll get pics tommorow.

5.0_GT_kid said:
Well I hate to be the one to tell you this...but the 99+ dark charcoal color is much lighter than the 94-98 black color, and the FR500 uses Dark charcoal.

Steve Turner from 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford put the FR500 wheel in his car (98 Cobra with black interior) but he used his factory airbag cover on the FR500 wheel...and you can definetly see a big difference.
Let me clear up some of your confusion. The 94 black is different than the 95-98 black. It's not just from 98 to 99 that there was a change. And you're right that the 99+ black interior can hardly be called black - you can tell just looking at it that it looks more like a dark grey.

I learned the difference between 94 and 95 black because I mistakingly ordered the 95-98 black to repaint my chipping door grabs. That was a noticable difference over my interior. So I went back and ordered the 94 black (actually ran from 90 to 94), and that matched up perfectly. Then when the steering wheel came, I painted the airbag in the 94 black. And now the steering wheel, airbag, and rest of my black interior match - perfectly.

I just went to 50Resto to try to find the steering wheel that I bought, and I can't be sure with how they have changed their interface. But it looks like the one I got was item # M3601B. Currently the 50resto web site does not describe that as the FR500 steering wheel. But when I ordered (whichever model number I actually ordered) the description said that it was the FR500 steering wheel.

Anyhoo, if you wanna be real sure. Call 50resto before you order. They know about all the changes in the Mustang's black interior (including the change from 94 to 95, and from 98 to 99). So they could tell you which one to get to match your interior.

Hope that helps.

GRGT1994 said:
Let me clear up some of your confusion. The 94 black is different than the 95-98 black. It's not just from 98 to 99 that there was a change. And you're right that the 99+ black interior can hardly be called black - you can tell just looking at it that it looks more like a dark grey.

I learned the difference between 94 and 95 black because I mistakingly ordered the 95-98 black to repaint my chipping door grabs. That was a noticable difference over my interior. So I went back and ordered the 94 black (actually ran from 90 to 94), and that matched up perfectly. Then when the steering wheel came, I painted the airbag in the 94 black. And now the steering wheel, airbag, and rest of my black interior match - perfectly.

I just went to 50Resto to try to find the steering wheel that I bought, and I can't be sure with how they have changed their interface. But it looks like the one I got was item # M3601B. Currently the 50resto web site does not describe that as the FR500 steering wheel. But when I ordered (whichever model number I actually ordered) the description said that it was the FR500 steering wheel.

Anyhoo, if you wanna be real sure. Call 50resto before you order. They know about all the changes in the Mustang's black interior (including the change from 94 to 95, and from 98 to 99). So they could tell you which one to get to match your interior.

Hope that helps.

Oh ok I see what you are saying now. I didn't know about the color change in 95 either.