Air conditioning system capacity?

GilmourD

Apr 9, 2007
The A/C in my '94 GT decided to vent out due to a bad low pressure service port... So I got a new port and I'm going to fill 'er up, but... What's the capacity? How much R134a and oil do I put into the system?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I done this a couple weeks ago on my stang. It was a headache and a half. I searched and called and asked and searched and called some more. I think I got a different answer from every place I looked.

What I ended up doing.....

My AC compressor needed replacing so I payed a shop to flush and vacume. I put the compressor and dryer and other crap on. Those fittings where a bitch too. But I got everything off and back on cept the new compressor. I bought a 8oz can of oil at Auto Zone and poured the oil into the compressor while cranking the pully to work the oil through it. I got nearly the whole can of oil in and then it wouldnt take anymore. I had maybe 1/2 an ounce left. I put all the fittings on bolted it up and took my R134 cans and began charging. It took both 18oz cans I bought.

Now if this helps at all..... On MY '02.... Auto Zone told me my system needed 8.5 ounces of oil and 33.?? some odd ounces of R134.... It was just shy of 34 ounces. But when I recharged it... It took all 36 ounces that I had... I STILL dont know if I done it right but its been a lil more than 3 weeks now and my ****s still blowing cold.

I wish ya luck in getting it done. Its a real PITA trying to get it right

Cool. Thanks, guys. Got totally ignored on The Corral (seems to be the way over there unless you're buying expensive parts).

Vacuum the system? No. The low-pressure service port was venting out, so I'm pretty sure most of it has been evacuated. I just wanted to know how much the system holds so I don't end up buying two cans when I might need three, ya know? :p

A vacuum pump capable of pulling about 30" hg. It's often easier to have a shop do it since it takes 2 mins. It's a good idea to leave a vac on the system to check for leaks but this would probably cost extra.