Air Temp vs H.P. loss?

jonesy

Apr 17, 2005
a few weeks ago ( was in high 60's lower 70's), I ran a 13.61 with like a 2.3 60' and went 103.6 mph, tonight mid 80's ( humid as hell) I cut my 60' time down by almost .3 (2.0180), my mph was down to 101.43 and ran damn near identical time ( 13.608) this was a differn't track which I think shouldn't matter much but wondering how much temp and humidity effects 1/4 times . I was hoping for 13.30's but was disappointed.

jonesy

• Sponsors (?)

Yes hot weather is killer on motors. Motors like the dense cool air to make power. Theres no "exact" amount of time that u lose from hot weather. My last time at the track i was down about 2 mph from where i was last fall.. Temp was about 85 and humid.

Your best bet when its hot is to ice the engine down between runs and try to get the car to the lane quickly before he heats back up(which is tough).

Good luck next time!

Whats your combo anyways?

351 w heads w2.02 in 1.6 ex, flow tech shorties, mac x pipe, f 303 cam , harlan sharp rollers,24lb inj.,Typhoon intake ( heavily worked over) 65 mm tb.,cold air intake ( BBK), 3.73 gears, jsut installed new M/T drag radials ( 255/ 50/16) only had 2 passes before rain but WOW what a difference over street tires

yea, around here its near 90 every day. the first 10-15 min. when my engine is still cool, i feel it picks up quicker, but after that its not as quick.

im just wondering, what if you wrapped your air tube from the filter to the tb in a heat shield. iv noticed that my cai tube (metal) is extremely hot after an extended period of time, so if i can block 98% of the heat, like some manufacturers propose, i think it would help signficantly. however, i have never seen a car with this. is it beneficial at all?