All Aluminum PI Style 4.6 Intake - 5.4 Version coming Soon!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Right and this is the exact same mold only made from aluminum. With any exposive the more force you have holding it together the more force the explosion will release when w/e gives finally gives.

So where is the energy from the backfire going to go?

Plus the surface of the inside of this thing is going to be more rough than the plastic one right?

Wouldnt that be more prone to fuel puddling? Or less?

SamMan said:
Right and this is the exact same mold only made from aluminum. With any exposive the more force you have holding it together the more force the explosion will release when w/e gives finally gives.

So where is the energy from the backfire going to go?

Plus the surface of the inside of this thing is going to be more rough than the plastic one right?

Wouldnt that be more prone to fuel puddling? Or less?

A nitrous backfire in a aluminum manifold will be contained and sucked into the next opening cylinders. Many 5.0's have survived NOS backfires in this exact way. The plastic manifold can't contain it long enough for the engine to draw it in. The alum intake has a much higher pressure threshold.

That makes sense. But I have seen a video of a 2000 cobra which suffers a backfire on a 150 shot of NX and the whole top of the intake pops off the bottom. Granted that intake is pretty thin on the top where as this one looks pretty thick. :shrug:

I remember a SN poster (Mustang92) got about 5-8rwhp across the entire band when he installed his bullet intake manifold. If this manifold has gains similar, it may be worth it for a N/A Mustang. If it has no gains over PI, I can't see a reason for a N/A application to get one.

nic01scgt said:
So this means us who get free intake manifold replacement from Ford will get this intake paid for in full by Ford right? Don't the reumburse up to 750$?

Exactly what I was thinking about. If they can get this thing out soon, theyll make some serious cash off that.

right

Gearbanger 101 said:
What facts would you like? How about thermodynamics? It's a well known fact that aluminum transfers heat much faster than composite plastic. Why do you think most carb and intake spacers are made of composite instead of aluminum? Do I really have to rip through my old college text books and write the formulas and transfer rates down for you to grasp this? :shrug:

The SVO and Bullitt intakes are also of a much higher flowing design than the stock PI unit. People running these intakes are also not putting them on bone stock cars!!! Not to mention that for nitrous or forced induction purposes (where these intakes thrive) the sturdier all aluminum piece is better from just a longevity perspective alone. Besides, we're not comparing that...we're comparing two nearly identical intakes made of different materials. One that conducts and transfers heat and another that does it to a much smaller degree. Common sense will tell you which one will keep the air charge cooler.

Like I stated earlier, only time will tell. But considering how long this company has been trying to put this intake out, without any major success and what little changes they’ve made to it, I don’t see this intake revolutionizing the industry any time soon!

thermal transfer and .... heat rejection. aluminum has very low heat rejection. i prefer the zytel version. it resists heat right up until it reaches melting point. now, with that being said i prefer aluminum for forced induction for obvious reasons. if i modify aluminum it is a piece if cake to tig back together. bith have benefits. also zytel surface is perfectly smooth. very good laminar airflow characteristics. also nitrous cools aluminum.

yeah right...screw both of those unless you are HARDCORE street/strip...just get a nice pi intake with aluminum crossover for $60-$150 (depending on condition). i just can't see spending that much on an aluminum intake unless you are doing some serious forced induction. i know plenty of people that are not N/A including nitrous owners who have the pi and don't have problems...as long as you get a good tune and don't show off you're good to go...and if you wanna show off a time or two then by two pi's and save millions!!!

God, talk about a lot of misinformed people. I've spoken with the guy over the phone, and I'm on the mailing list for both the upper and lower intake pieces. The "upper intake" is what was dyno'd, not the lower piece. It gained 6rwhp on a basic bolt-on GT. No serious mods to the exhuast or intake either. The lower intake does have shorter runners, but it has 3 times the internal surface space, at least accordingly to the guy I spoke with over the phone. How much this will effect the torque production between top end and low end, I'm not sure. I think Forpit GT had a good idea with the plenum spacer idea to this combo to improve top end torque. Also, the bottom of the lower intake is detacheable, so porting is easier.

I'm going to get both the upper and lower intake setup for 700 dollars when it is released. It might be a bit cheaper, if we can get a group purchase going on. There was over 200 people on the mailing list for this thing weeks ago. Its probably nearing 300 or better now.

Once I get mine, I'm going to clean up the upper intake and lower intake runners, and smooth them down the best I can for best flow results. Then, its off to the local dyno. I got a guy who is an SCT tuner to help me, so we should get some solid pulls on this setup. We may try it with an intake spacer, and see what results we come up with. This is huge for the 4.6ltr crowd, as I know we've all been waiting on a all aluminum lower intake that will fit without any other modifcations.

I'll report back with the results when it occurs. :nice:

droptopponynj said:
I like this guys attempt at a lower intake better, not just a copy but attempt at improveing on the PI lower. This guys been posting on corral for years and has a 96gt..

www.purpleracing.com

View attachment 502533 View attachment 502535 View attachment 502537

Dude, the color of that thing makes me wonder if you're going to put it in a Mustang, or the Joker mobile. :rlaugh:

Seriously, I do respect the fact that the guy had made a aluminum lower intake design with larger runners, but he's asking 900 dollars for the piece, and no dyno results as of yet to make anyone feel its worth it to purchase one.

Dark Knight GT said:
Dude, the color of that thing makes me wonder if you're going to put it in a Mustang, or the Joker mobile. :rlaugh:

Seriously, I do respect the fact that the guy had made a aluminum lower intake design with larger runners, but he's asking 900 dollars for the piece, and no dyno results as of yet to make anyone feel its worth it to purchase one.

the same can be said about the one your holding your breath for. No dyno yet. The purple racing unit cost more cause its shipped overseas. A guy from Tampa has one in his possesion and has installed it but not dyno'd yet. When he posts the info on corral i will pass it along here.
As far as the intake in this thread I've been on the "Mailing List" for almost 2 years and still no intake. every 3 months or so someone comes along and gets excited cause they talked to someone at highperformance and the intake is almost ready....well I hope this time it really is almost ready, and I hope Purple gets his done and BBK gets theirs done so we can have a choice.

The problem with the intake featured in this thread, is they had a problem with the intake runner design that had to be re-done. That is what the hold up has been. I was informed it would only be a couple more months till this piece is completed. I'm guessing if it's not out by the end of November, then something else has happened.

I am curious about the one being released by BBk though. I didn't even know they were still working on one.

mogs01gt said:
the main problem with out 2v intakes is the runners. Nitrous puddles in the runners when/if a nitrous backfire happens, it blows apart the intake. Most other intakes to not have the runner design we have and the puddling problem.

nitrous backfires are caused my puddling, not the other way around.
and a big enough backfire will sen any intake through a hood, an al. one is only insurance for small ones.

Most do not spray over 125, some 150, if you spray above 3000 rpms and don't get into the limiter , you shouldn't have a problem with backfires or puddling. The factory plastic piece is pretty good for a factory piece. Better than what Ford gave the 5.0 from the factory. I would like to see some claimed numbersa and see what that looks like. curve especially

Joel's98GT said:
nitrous backfires are caused my puddling, not the other way around.
and a big enough backfire will sen any intake through a hood, an al. one is only insurance for small ones.
nitrous backfires can be caused anywhere in the intake track, not just our lower runners and/or runners on other engines.

SamMan said:
So what happens with a nitrous backfire with regards to this intake?

They claim the intake will NEVER crack but Ive seen a vid of an aluminum cobra intake blown into little peices due to a 150 shot backfire. So what you get little aluminum pieces in your valves versus little plastic ones?

Those manifolds are cast aluminum. O wait so is this one lol