Alright gang, built Dart or Coyote?

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
Lafayette,IN
Pros and Cons? A Dart longblock from ZSR or Fordstrokers is 11k. A takeout Coyote can be anywhere from 3.5-8k +. In my situation with the Dart, I drop it right in and literally buy nothing. The coyote,the engine install is fairly simple,but the wiring,hydroboost,etc is time consuming. If you were in a position to do this ,which direction would you go and why?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Never wanted anything but a Windsor, be it 302 or 351 based, in my foxes.

You're always gonna get the guys who talk about smoothness, or the new fangled tech, but I still haven't seen anything power-wise from a coyote that can't be done with a 363 Dart, even though I don't deny how impressive they are. If you want 400 or 2k hp, either PowerPoint has ways to do it. I think you're still on more solid ground at huge power levels with a Dart block, though.

Windsor all the way :nice: the reason is simplicity, time.
I ain't got time for a 'project'. With EFI drivability is a non-issue.
...and Wow factor IMO.

I mean... Everybody has seen the Coyote thing. It's cool. Nobody waits around to hear it start up though.

Just thinkin' out loud :shrug:

You really want to get crazy, do a solid lifter. :O_o:

I would have said 363, but I'm going supercharged 4.6 (not Terminator) as the sound is awesome, the look is different, the drive-ability is fantastic and I was already going full send anyway. In your situation, the 363 will likely be cheaper overall since you already have a 5.0 based block so everything you have just bolts up. Any other swap and you'll have to factor in things like bellhousing, exhaust, K member, brake booster, power steering, AC, heat, fuel system, engine management, etc.

If you’re staying N/A I would just like to drop this here as well.

There’s a 460 stroked to 501 for sale on Marketplace rn for $3200. Brand new, full long block. A couple truck based stock motors with low miles for $500.

Additionally, they’re a metric F-ton of 7.3 Godzillas being taken out brand new from fleet vehicles being converted to electric. I like big blocks and I cannot lie. Especially N/A

The 363 is period correct and possibly faster.
The coyote will be a better street car.

If this was a quarter mile car, all motor? I'd say 363.
If this is a car that you want to reliably cruise around (including in traffic), coyote wins.

So while i still have my own demons about using a mod motor in a foxbody, i'd vote coyote (assuming it's a cruiser).
The coyote will literally be set it and forget it when it's done.

363 will make really good power and have that pushrod rawness . Yes it wil in essence just drop right in . You’re not messing with accessories , hydro boost , ps brackets , and so fourth.

You’ll still need fuel system , intake , throttle body, injectors , some way to tune with 363 as well as a clutch , or converter if it’s auto .

They both have pros and cons but in my opinion the push rod is still a winner and at that point there’s no reason not to go to a Windsor based 408 or 427 if you plan on staying N.A. .

Will make more power for your money . I still vote Windsor based deal

The 363 is period correct and possibly faster.
The coyote will be a better street car.

If this was a quarter mile car, all motor? I'd say 363.
If you’re going 351W based why stop with 363? Why not go all out and stroke it to 427?
So while i still have my own demons about using a mod motor in a foxbody, i'd vote coyote (assuming it's a cruiser).
The coyote will literally be set it and forget it when it's done.
I would also counter this by saying the Godzilla swap would require the same changes regarding fuel, hydroboost, etc. and would be cheaper. Also still a pushrod motor.

I love coyote swaps too, but that’s an expensive piece of machinery.

When most talk about a Dart 363 is not a 351W based motor. Its an 8.2 deck Dart block bored to 4.125" with a 3.4" stroke. I could be wrong here but typically that is the case.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not against a 7.3.
Even considered a built one (with heads and a cam) i could have bought fairly cheap a couple years back.
But at the time there was only one control pack that would run one at a cost of 3 grand and the only intake on the market was 2 grand.
I'm not sure what is out there now to make it easier and i don't actually know how one fits under a fox hood.
I still think as a swap, it's going to add up and have less optional aftermarket parts than a coyote.

Get a Stroker windsor 363-460 and put a Harrop tvs2650 super charger( good for 1200hp) on it.
Done.
I like where your head is at, except my Dart 363 cost me $17k to be built, and that Harrop supercharger kit is $12k... Would it be awesome? Hell yes it would. But damn near $30k in the engine alone? At that point a Coyote with a Roush TVS or Whipple would be way more cost effective. You can find them as take outs all over.