Alternatives to dccontrol e fan controller

svtpower

Apr 30, 2005
Wisconsin
I am looking into doing a 3G alternator upgrade as well as a taurus fan and I keep reading that "dccontrol.com is the place to get them.

Well....looks like they don't have much of a site anymore. :shrug: Anyone know where to get these or a good alternative?

• Sponsors (?)

do a search. There are many controllers. You may just contact the site admin (as this is the owner) and get a hold of him that way. I'd recommend the dcc controller. It is a stout piece and worth the wait. he shuts his site down and only takes orders from certain groups (stangnet, corral, etc) at certain times so as to decrease his backorder time. He'll take your order when the group is up, if you are a member (which you obviously are).

theres a thread in the general tech section of corral about this. the guys really cut back on the controllers.

you can get a temp or timer control at autozone for $15.

i think "baskin" is the username of the dccontrol owner on corral and here. search his name and you'll find out how to get into the site. I believe you need a certain post count or been a member for a certain time frame at either site.

there are other option out there for fan control, but after reading on most of them...the dc unit seemed to be the easiest and better way of doing things for me.

I use the probe style adjustable controller that has the probe that slips under the radiator hose and has a knob you can adjust for what temp it turns on at. I keep it all the way down though. Works well enough and was like $30.

If someone is considering a Delta controller, a toggle switch is not an option. It's like saying that one wants a Ferrari and someone saying to get a Pinto instead.

Here are the ordering instructions that were mentioned above.

FWIW, your opening post reads like DC Control is the place to get Taurus fans. YOu can get those fans anywhere. The controller (which can be used for about any fan) is what you have to get from Dc Control.

Good luck.

Yeah it's Baskin. I sent hom a PM the other day cuz I wanted to order a controller and he sent a link back to me for the catalog on his sight so I could order. You have to have been a memeber for a while and have a decent post count for him to send you the link cuz I think he's had a lot of tire kickers in the past that have caused hi, trouble.

A cheaper and easier way is simply get yourself a FMS 3/8 threaded insert T-stat housing, and a Painless Thermal switch 200on/185 off. With a 180 Mr. gasket T-stat and wire it upto the E-Fan to Ground, Be done with it. Unless you want all that fancy DC controller stuff, More of a headache when it breaks. But thats my opinion. I have had that set up in my stang for 5 years without any problems. Never had to change the thermal switch either.
if you need wiring directions, hit me back, They are just way to long to write out here.

Later Ant

A cheaper and easier way is simply get yourself a FMS 3/8 threaded insert T-stat housing, and a Painless Thermal switch 200on/185 off. With a 180 Mr. gasket T-stat and wire it upto the E-Fan to Ground, Be done with it. Unless you want all that fancy DC controller stuff, More of a headache when it breaks. But thats my opinion. I have had that set up in my stang for 5 years without any problems. Never had to change the thermal switch either.
if you need wiring directions, hit me back, They are just way to long to write out here.

Later Ant

That was what i wanted to do originally but i found that the adjustable controller i got was even cheaper and it's pretty much a set it and forget it deal as well. Plus i have the option of turning it all the way down allowing it to get warmer in the winter.

Using an electric fan without a controller or relay is asking for trouble. The simple on/off switches and thermo switches are not rated to carry the 30 + amps the fans pull. Top that off with the fact that most of these installations are wired with 12-16 gauge wire and you have an electrical fire waiting to happen.

I used a VW (80s Jetta) switch on mine, run through a 70amp relay and a large 40 amp fuse.

With the Taurus fan, I recommend wiring it up to the low side of the fan. I originally had it wired to the high side, but it was such a nasty start up, and really overkill for simple cooling purposes. I live in South Florida, and the low side on a stock rad keeps my car as cool as it needs to be. Another thing I noticed, it really seems like the low side of the fan has a slow start, where as the high side just KICKS on. Either way, I am very happy using the low side for cooling, and I am in the process of using a series of relays to hook up the high side of the fan to my AC, so basically it will work as it was supposed to. Low side for keeping the car cool, high side for blowing more air over the AC condenser.

Using an electric fan without a controller or relay is asking for trouble. The simple on/off switches and thermo switches are not rated to carry the 30 + amps the fans pull. Top that off with the fact that most of these installations are wired with 12-16 gauge wire and you have an electrical fire waiting to happen.

I do have a 75 amp BOSCH relay along with a 100 amp circuit breaker. The thermal switch is hooked upto Ground and my wiring is 8 guage. i forgot to mention that in my reply. I know at least about 4 toher guys who have the same set up-Trouble free for years.

Later Ant