Am I gonna have to change my whole steering rack?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, let me start from the beginning. There has been this noise coming from under the hood. I could never put my finger on it untill one day my PS pump locked up, then unlocked after I restarted the car. So I changed the pump. About a week later, I am pretty sure I heard the same noise. Then 3 weeks after I changed it the first time, it locked up at my moms house. This time for good. It wouldnt unlock itself.

So I just put ANOTHER one on, and it is locked up too. So Im guessing its not the pump, and the problem lies somewhere else in the steering system. Could something in the rack be just completely blocking the flow of fluid? IS there anyway I can check?

And what would you suggest for a good rack? I want to have a good rack. And no manual racks please.

• Sponsors (?)

Big racks can be fun. Oh sorry.

Eric, when the pump seizes, is the reservoir empty? If it is, that suggests a restriction. And it can be why the pump is seizing.

Does the pump ever unseize (when it cools off, etc)? Can you turn it by hand once you remove it?

Did you use a filter on the return line to the pump? They're pricey at about 20 bucks (Napa repackages a Magnefine as I recall. Good stuff. I use Magnefine filters purchased online).

Big racks can be fun. Oh sorry.

Eric, when the pump seizes, is the reservoir empty? If it is, that suggests a restriction. And it can be why the pump is seizing.

Does the pump ever unseize (when it cools off, etc)? Can you turn it by hand once you remove it?

Did you use a filter on the return line to the pump? They're pricey at about 20 bucks (Napa repackages a Magnefine as I recall. Good stuff. I use Magnefine filters purchased online).

The reservoir is full. It came packaged with some fluid in it, and I topped it off, then spun it by hand some and made some bubbles come up to get some of the fluid down.

And I cant really run it long enough to warm it up, but last time it locked up, I took the belt off, and it turned fine. Same thing with the one thats on now. Im thinking that when it turns really fast, it builds up pressure due to a block in the rack and wont turn.

If it wasnt already there, its not on now. But Ill probably put on on once I fix all this crap.

Eric, if the ignition is disabled (I disconnect the grey electrical connector to the coil), and you crank it over, does the pump seize?
This is a medium speed between idling and spinning by hand. Maybe you can see what's going on that way.

Obviously make sure your return lines are not kinked. I'd almost undo the return line where it connects to the hardline leaving the rack (and going to the cooler) and the other end at the reservoir (be ready to plug the reservoir nipple or the res will dump its guts onto your floor). Then blow through the lines to be sure the flow is not impeded.
If that's ok, do the same to the high side line.
That would then leave the rack as being clogged. I havent ever seen that happen. I dont know if you can try to push compressed air backwards through a rack to send any debris back out the inlet.

One last thought: Are you sure the pulley isnt spinning on the PS pump's input shaft?