AMSOIL Experience

Well yeah that's true, but conventional motor oil didn't work as well. So that's enough to convince me to use it on wife's 07 Camry as well. Do I feel the difference on that? Probably not, but after reading the full report, I believe that it's better for the internals in the longrun. And the difference in cost is not siginficant enough. Keep in mind that I'm running it for 15K and only change the filter every 5K and top it off. Not using it on the Stang, as it has a small leak somewhere on the bottom and I don't use it that much. Once I rebuild the motor in that (in some distant future) I'll dump Amsoil in it as well. And that's just my opinion on the subject.

Fair enough.

• Sponsors (?)

Amsoil sounds like another one of those gimmick oils you see advertised on late night infomercials. It reminds me of Duralube, Slick50, Lubricator 2001, Prolong..etc I think it's all in the mind. One spends that much on oil and believes what a bunch of testimonials say, they will swear by it that it's doing something for them. I'm not buyin it. Sorry. Been fooled by too many gimmicks that dont work.

Amsoil is no gimmick, I doubt a gimmick would last for 38 years. Here is a used oil analysis on a turbo focus going 12,000+ on Amsoil's XL line
Focusoilsample001.jpg

And the thread
Amsoil XL5W20, 12,150 miles, Ford Focus - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Their XL oil is under rated by Amsoil to go 7500. If it was a gimmick or snake oil this report would say so.

Toyota Camary doing just over 10k and BlackStone saying take if further (13k)
camry.png

Thread:Amsoil ASL 5w-30/10345 miles/2004 Toyota Camry 4cy - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Amsoil sounds like another one of those gimmick oils you see advertised on late night infomercials. It reminds me of Duralube, Slick50, Lubricator 2001, Prolong..etc I think it's all in the mind. One spends that much on oil and believes what a bunch of testimonials say, they will swear by it that it's doing something for them. I'm not buyin it. Sorry. Been fooled by too many gimmicks that dont work.

And when was the last time you saw an Amsoil infomercial?

i also run amsoil in everything. well almost. my wife goes to honda cause of warrenty. and i ran regular oil when i had a coolant leak into my oil just to flush it out. but so far i haven't had any problems with amsoil. as far as being better than other oil i can't say for sure since i don't normally run other oils. but it does feel better. (placibo effect? i dunno)

i aslo don't mind the 25k+ mile claim or 1 year change only because i never reach that type of milage or use cause i hop between 2 other cars.

i can say this i've notice. the synthetic will not break down over time as fossil oil does. fossil will break down / decay just on the shelf from what i'm told.

also if you buy amsoil buy it by the gallon you'll save a few bucks.

Worth what? What does it give you that regular dyno oil wont?

6k on dyno is really the standard recommendation is 6k + miles (I believe Ford's recommendation is 7500 miles).

i will have to disagree with this statement for the most part but not all.

AMSOIL is hands down the best... royal purple right behind

i have been using synthetic for since about 1994 , and swear by it. what you get is superior lubricating properties due to it's chemical makeup (it is oppositely charged as internal engine parts so it actually clings to them) i have seen improved gas mileage (about 10%) freed up hp (maybe 5-10 ponies) and increased intervals. i don't look at mileage for changes... i go by color, and when it starts getting dark... it getting too many metal particles in it. i usually use mobil 1 or castrol as well

it's $22-$27 for 5 qts at wally world and that is a steal.

conventional oil is getting colored at 3k miles.... syn looks the same at 5k

so all in all......

doubling the change interval cuts the price in half
increased mileage helps cut more cost
and the rest is woth it to have virtually ZERO engine wear

but thats my $.02