An old guy's reunion.

ranger04

Jul 28, 2007
Let me start off by saying that as a young man I loved and raced mustangs. In high school I was a ford fanatic, to the point they called me ford boy or FOMOCO. I had several old mustangs, but the last year of high school I had my fastest. It was a 68 fastback GT with a 428 CJ, 4-speed top loader and a ford 9" posi, 3:90 gears. It was the fastest car at school and it made my senior year unforgetable. When I pulled up to the school, all the kids would flock to my car, the girls loved to ride in it or just be seen setting in it.. I had beaten everyone at school from 396 powered chevells, 440 chargers, even a 401 AMX javilin. I was the king and a midveiw living legand. The next year after graduation I totaled the car screwing off and about broke my neck, I was in the hospital for a month. That was the end of me and fast fords. When the S-197's came out they reminded me so much of the old 68, I just had to have one. This car has helped me find myself, it helped me remember who I was and what I was about. My 07 GT/CS and me were a perfect fit. Well my 30 year reunion was last week and I decided to go, it's the first one I've went to since graduation. I took the 68, I mean the 07 and the clock was turned back 30 years. All of my classmates saw me pull in and flocked to the car. The girls piled in and on for pitures, they were calling me ford boy and FOMOCO again. We stayed in the parking lot for an hour talking about the car and the old days before going in. When it was time to leave, they ask me to lite it up for old times sake. The car performed flawlessly, it spun sideways in 1st, banged
2nd and it spun the other way just like the old 68. I did acouple minute smokey burn out. I pulled up to then say good-bye and they all were clapping, it brought a tear to my eye. For one moment in time, my car and I were back in high school. For me, a mustang is more than a car, it's who I am. I'm just sorry it took me 30 years to remember that in an evening that I will never forget. Sorry it's so long, I just wanted to share with my mustang friends and budies.

PER; Fordboy or FOMOCO!!!!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Great story! I've been a Mustang guy my entire life and have owned and driven Mustangs consistantly since high school (and I graduated in 1968 :eek:). I had a 67 Mustang 390GT fastback with a toploaded 4-speed back then so I know how you felt.

Even though I've owned lots of Mustangs from the 60-'s, 70's and several 5.0 Fox Mustangs and even a 2001 GT; my 07 GT is my all-time favorite. I just feel good driving it, just like back in the high school days. It's retro enough that everyone knows it's iconic American heritage.

Mustangs have always been a part of who I am.

Ford got this one right :nice:

Thanks guy's, yeah it was cool. They said that they knew it was me before they even saw me. They said who else would come in squiling tires in a hot mustang but FOMOCO, some things never change.

Great story and it brought back great memories of my first car. My high school car was a 65 Coupe Black with two gold stripes.

The Mustang has been and will always be special to me. I hope there never comes a time in my life that I do not own one again.

I wish my dad had his old car from when he was in highschool/college. He had a Boss 302 1970 model. Its his stories that got me into mustangs like i am. He had it all decked out and such and the only car to beat him in college was some dudes roadrunner that was all hopped up.

damn, you guys are lucky.

i wish i had a nice car throughout highschool. I had a 1990 probe GL, got it for 400 bucks, as a beater car. had a better chance merging on the high way with a skateboard.

and then halfway through i bought my 94 gt. which was a complete waste of money. car rode horrible, made every possible noise it could. couldn't hear the flowmasters over the fuel pump. couldn't hear the radio over the tranny whining and the rear end whining ripped up shift boot, so all these fume and such were getting into the car. burned 2 quarts of oil a week. if i had just put oil in it the day before, the next day i'd start it up you could follow the smoke and find me. a month or so after i bought it the tranny blew up. right before i bought my 2007, the flowmasters had completely rotted out. one cylinder always got fouled within 10 minutes of driving the car after putting a new plug in. tried defoulers, tried different plugs. nothing. took off the distributor cap, FULL of oil. this car was a piece. passenger seatbelt didn't stay together.

just thinking of this car makes me sick. all the humiliation. getting asked by people "why is it making that noise?" "what the hell why doesn't my seatbelt stay on, am i going to die?" "why is it smoking?" "why is it shaking? is it going to blow up?" airbag light was on, never got it fixed, abs didn't work, never got it fixed. all the safety features my parents wanted my car to have, me having to reject nicer cars, because they lacked those features. didn't work anyway.

Nice story! That could make for a good short film:nice:
I got my first Stang two years after high school('92 LX 5.0). I loved that car even though not doing much to it. I was surely hooked on Stangs after that! Since then I've had '95 GT, '00 GT and now the '06 GT and by far the new one is the best! My parents had a '65 Stang that ended up getting totaled due to getting caught up in a wreck on the interstate back in the late '60s. After I got the '06, I took my Mom for a few rides(while she was still with us)and she loved riding in it and liked how it looked like the older ones:nice: My Dad was also impressed as I've let him take it for a spin a few times. After my first Stang, I've branded my arm with the running pony and so the bond between the Stang and myself was born:flag::rock:

damn, you guys are lucky.

i wish i had a nice car throughout highschool. I had a 1990 probe GL, got it for 400 bucks, as a beater car. had a better chance merging on the high way with a skateboard.

and then halfway through i bought my 94 gt. which was a complete waste of money. car rode horrible, made every possible noise it could. couldn't hear the flowmasters over the fuel pump. couldn't hear the radio over the tranny whining and the rear end whining ripped up shift boot, so all these fume and such were getting into the car. burned 2 quarts of oil a week. if i had just put oil in it the day before, the next day i'd start it up you could follow the smoke and find me. a month or so after i bought it the tranny blew up. right before i bought my 2007, the flowmasters had completely rotted out. one cylinder always got fouled within 10 minutes of driving the car after putting a new plug in. tried defoulers, tried different plugs. nothing. took off the distributor cap, FULL of oil. this car was a piece. passenger seatbelt didn't stay together.

just thinking of this car makes me sick. all the humiliation. getting asked by people "why is it making that noise?" "what the hell why doesn't my seatbelt stay on, am i going to die?" "why is it smoking?" "why is it shaking? is it going to blow up?" airbag light was on, never got it fixed, abs didn't work, never got it fixed. all the safety features my parents wanted my car to have, me having to reject nicer cars, because they lacked those features. didn't work anyway.

Yet you gave the car to your brother?!? :eek:

Nice story! That could make for a good short film:nice:
I got my first Stang two years after high school('92 LX 5.0). I loved that car even though not doing much to it. I was surely hooked on Stangs after that! Since then I've had '95 GT, '00 GT and now the '06 GT and by far the new one is the best! My parents had a '65 Stang that ended up getting totaled due to getting caught up in a wreck on the interstate back in the late '60s. After I got the '06, I took my Mom for a few rides(while she was still with us)and she loved riding in it and liked how it looked like the older ones:nice: My Dad was also impressed as I've let him take it for a spin a few times. After my first Stang, I've branded my arm with the running pony and so the bond between the Stang and myself was born:flag::rock:

enter that story in the mustang story contest ford has on the 2010 stang countdown site. Introducing the 2010 Ford Mustang | Ford Vehicles

Yet you gave the car to your brother?!? :eek:

haha, my brothers in his 30s, he has a lincoln town car, and a porsche 911. hes had 5.0s before.

i needed something dependable to get me around that i didn't have to constantly fix. hes rebuilding the motor and everything and using it for a casual driver, that has more power. his porsche doesn't have the power he wished it did. so instead of beating on that and blowing it up again, hes going to drive the 94 and beat up that, and if he blows it up, he knows it'll be alot cheaper then the porsche to fix.

i was just sick of throwing every paycheck into making the car run half decent.

he knows exactly what he was getting into before he asked me if i knew what i was goin to do with it.

he did a huge curb shot today on the chrome deep dish bullits i had put on it though. aggrivating even though its not my car anymore. haha.