another airbag code

Jaffman088

Sep 28, 2010
I bought my car back in June from a guy who said that there were a bunch of codes on when he bought the car and spent the last year pretty much turning them off, messing with grounds and such....anyways a week after I bought the car, the airbag light started to come on....its been a few months and I just wanna turn the darn thing off. I researched it as a code 33, open circuit or high resistance on passanger side. Does anyone know how on earth I go about it off?

• Sponsors (?)

High resistance codes mean that a connector was unplugged at some point, and when it was plugged in there was "high resistance" found. Ford's electrical connectors (the contacts, at least) are made of aluminum. Aluminum oxidizes over time, and does not conduct electricity as well. When you unplug and reconnect a connector, the contacts line up differently and you could have oxidized parts touching. This is the "high resistance" that the code refers to. Power is flowing but not as well as it should.

The solution is to unhook the connector the code refers to, and spray electrical contact cleaner on the contacts. Once the cleaner has dried/evaporated, hook it back up. The code should either go away or change.