another gear survey

1LowGT

Sep 4, 2005
st louis mo.
alright i have a k&n, off-road x, magnaflow mufflers,i want to put 3.73 gears in but everyone is saying 4.10 s i drive 35 miles 1 way to work,i have a work car i use but if i was going to drive this car everyday is it too much? also how does it make it shift?some say it throws shift points off? the car is a more show than go with the 3.08s in it now i cant stand it but i want a car i can drive everyday also,by the way the car is a 98 gt with 42,000 on it,and its an automatic,steve

• Sponsors (?)

:stupid:

but im always willing to help somone out instead of telling him to do a search, so i'll throw in my .02. i say 4.10's especially with an auto. it will not hurt your gas mileage that much at all, and they will be the best SOTP mod you can do next for forced induction or NOS. 3.73s will be noticeable as well, but remember these cars love to rev and make more power in the upper rpm's. therefore the lower gear ratio, the quicker you will get into the power band. if you are so undecided you just cant make up your mind, split the difference and get a set of Motive or Pro 5.0 3.90s. good luck

no problem. take advantage of being a noob now and ask as many "which exhaust" and "3.73s or 4.10s" questions as you want. dont worry about everyone that says do a search. some of them have been around a while and think once a question is asked it should never be asked again. that said, some of them are being genuinlely serious because the search tool can be very useful, so you should use it whenever you can, but dont be afraid to ask. welcome to the boards, enjoy them, and take what some people will say with a grain of salt. its just the interweb and some guys take it a little too seriously :rolleyes:

03ghoststang said:
if fuel economy is a concern but still wnt the pull the 4.10's give go with 3.90's they will give you the economy of 3.73's and the pull like the 4.10's
on top of that, arent 4.10s not much different from stock (gas mileage wise) in city driving? but its highway driving that gets a little worse gas mileage right? :shrug:

helty said:
on top of that, arent 4.10s not much different from stock (gas mileage wise) in city driving? but its highway driving that gets a little worse gas mileage right? :shrug:

yup that's the only thing that kept me from getting 4.10's the highway driving and the fact that im going supercharged next year so that is why i got 3.73's cant complain i like them

Don't change the rear end just change your rear wheel size. When I go out to the track I put on 16 inch wheels which gets the car to rev up faster and causes me then to shift into 4th gear during the 1/4 mile. Then once I am done racing I put back on the stock wheels and tires and get all my gas mileage back that I would be lossing if I kept the 4.10's or 3.73's in all the time.

hazze4ya said:
alright i have a k&n, off-road x, magnaflow mufflers,i want to put 3.73 gears in but everyone is saying 4.10 s i drive 35 miles 1 way to work,i have a work car i use but if i was going to drive this car everyday is it too much? also how does it make it shift?some say it throws shift points off? the car is a more show than go with the 3.08s in it now i cant stand it but i want a car i can drive everyday also,by the way the car is a 98 gt with 42,000 on it,and its an automatic,steve

I have a 97 with Auto and 3.73. I think since you drive 1400 miles a month You may consider the 3.73. I felt a huge difference. It shifts at a much lower speed but the same R's. It runs at 2000 at 60, 2300 at 70. Around town it drive allot better as you are in a good power band mcuh more ad it is not moaning and growning throug the gears. You may have to get a Speed Cal since i believe the 98's switched to the same setup as the 99's. ON the 96-97 you can just buy a speedo gear to calibrate the speedo.
I get 20-21 mpg with them around town and have go 26.5 all highway before. That is better than stock. The Catless H and everything else helps I am sure. I drive about 50- 100 miles a day. I think I could live with 4.10s however. That puts it at about 2500 at 70. I drive 75-80 all the time and that is at 2500 anyway.

One thing you need to do is the Jmod shift kit. do a search and you will see it is one the best mods you can do for an Automatic Stang. It was the same impact on performanace as the Midpipe and gears. It cost me like 30.00 in parts and plus fluid 13 qts and filter about 85.00. Go to www.tccoa.com. I get a 15ft of rubber out of 1-2 shifts but running below 2250 rpm or easy driving you would not know it is modded.