Any auto shift knobs out there? Where?

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
The last thread about aftermarket auto knobs turned into a hate fest from others assuming someone w/ an auto wants to look like they have a 5-speed (I f'n love my auto now) - what it really comes down to is the fact that i and many others hate the look and feel of the moch-leather-plastic T handle out of a ford taurus.
All i've found besides chrome finger engrooved T handles:)notnice:) is this at americanmuscle: http://www.americanmuscle.com/au.html
are there any other options?

• Sponsors (?)

Funny this thread came up.....I just finished doing that mod this morning. I've drove my car for like the 4th time ever on friday and thought the stock piece was absolute crap so i ripped it off. Couldn't find anything on the net so i kinda did my own....it couldn't have been any easier.

sorry, car is dirty in the pics as I've been doing alot of interior work this past weekend!!

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

TIRES060.jpg

oh yeah....I lost use of the OD button....but don't really care ha:shrug:

once you take it off does it just have threads that any ol' 5-speed knob can fit on? Doesn't it need a button to compress in order to move it? There are auto handles iv seen that relocate the O/D button to to the front of the knob - you will need it if you run WOT passes since you shouldnt go WOT through 4th since it uses a "band" engage style to move to 4th and that can turn your input shaft into twisted licorice at WOT, so w/ O/D off you do 1-3 which is what u should be doing on a 1/4mile anyways.

Pic with nothing on...........to shift I just push down on the shift knob..... I hear what your saying about the OD and 1/4mile...but I won't be doing anything like that with this car, if i was I'd put a different trans in her...prob a manual

IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/hotstang46/TIRES061.jpg[/IMG]

it's been known to happen on the regular roads too. Ur going 50mph behind some one in 4th(o/d) and then to past them you floor it to go around them dropping into 3rd then eventually shifting back into 4th under power, with enough power you F the stock input shaft. This is why i srang for the hardened input shaft when building my tranny- tho it's still know to happen, just in cars w/ 150-200 more hp than mine. So be careful, just ease off the gas for the shift. Can you still press it down with the boot over it?

I don't think a leather boot is a bad idea because the Ford automatic shifter is just so damn ugly. It belongs in a Lincoln or t-bird.

I'm a manual trans guy so i don't have to worry about it, but i always wondered how you see what gear you are in? IS it easy to pop into reverse if you need to without looking for it?

My B&M still says down the side what gear you are in, but it would be easy if you didnt have it. There's a saftey between Neutral & Reverse so you couldnt just slap it in reverse you would feel the plate. Well thats how it is with my B&M