Any experience with cheap knockoff HEI distributors?

66 BLAKE 96

Native Texican
Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Cowtown
Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960935285&category=33690

I'm sure MSD is the way to go if I have a ton to spend or if I'm really trying to get the best 1/4 time possible. The reality is that my engine build is already going over budget, and the thought of putting this old Pertronix-converted single point distributor into my soon-to-be badass 302 just rubs me the wrong way. Would something like this ebay cheapie do the job until I can throw $400-500 at MSD stuff a few years down the road or is it junk?

• Sponsors (?)

Pretronix makes an HEI distributor for around $200 that I was looking at but I don’t know anyone that has used one. What is the best way to see what kind or shape my dizzy is in?

I couldn't open the ebay link for some reason.

But anyway I have used that same (I'm guessing) dizzy in a friend's 302 equipped cj7 we built, It worked great. Summit also sells the same one's. My Father in law also just bought one for his 74 SBC 400 vette. Summit had them on "manager's special" when we were there the other day for $99.00 :nice: