Any gain going from shorties to longtubes?

BelueLX

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
My car has Mac shorties, a custom 2.5" H-pipe and flowmaster mufflers. Will I see any gain going with longtubes, a 3" pipe and 3" race bullet style exhaust? I dont want to spend the money if its just going to be louder.

• Sponsors (?)

yea, the long tubes help with cars with power adders like a super charger or a huge shot of nitrous. i was thinkin about gettin long tubes for my car...but was talked out of it because i was told that id lose a lot of low end power....dont know the truth behind that...but oh well.

full length headers have a better scavenging effect allowing the hot gases 2 maintane a higher velocity to the collector in a way actually helping pull spent gases from the combustion chamber, allowing your motor to make more power across entire RPM range like mike k. quoted.
i run the housler series (stepped) headers wich are a little more expensive, but have seen an significant improvement to warrant the extra cost.

LTs all the way!! But definetely get the ceramic coated ones. And from everything I have seen, heard and read LTs give you more torque down low with a slight HP loss down low. The main reason alot of people don't run them is they can be pricey and a PITA to install. Note that I said CAN BE, not all are. But you get what you pay for.

Wie Spats,
Mo' Town :flag:

I went from Mac shorties to Mac longtubes, and a Mac cattewd H to a mac prochamber. With pulleys also added the car went from a 13.89 to a 13.05... and from 98 mph to 103 mph. Any loss in power is a total myth as there was no SOTP feel after the pulleys, but after the exhaust the car felt new.

25thmustang said:
I went from Mac shorties to Mac longtubes, and a Mac cattewd H to a mac prochamber. With pulleys also added the car went from a 13.89 to a 13.05... and from 98 mph to 103 mph. Any loss in power is a total myth as there was no SOTP feel after the pulleys, but after the exhaust the car felt new.

That's a huge increase. Did you change anything else on the car. IE traction, suspension, gears......anything. That is a really big increase for just exhaust. Maybe your CATS were plugged or something. I don't doubt it though. I noticed a difference. I just wish it was as big as you.

I saw 2.1 mph and 2/10. I was happy.

The longtube power loss IS NOT TRUE. I saw it over a year ago on a dyno.

AXIStang----get the longtubes. But stay with the 2 1/2 piping.