Any opinions/Pro's or Con's on Holley Systemax intakes???

• Sponsors (?)

They're really on beneficial if you're running higher horsepower levels or are running some type of forced induction. On a stock engine, or mildly modified, you will feel a loss in low end torque.

I have this intake on my 306 and I'm having some masive oil control problems! Starting from the PCV valve on into the EGR block and then the oil is running through the the T/B into my C&L elbow and then literally dripping out of the conical filter. I've tryed to track this problem down and no luck. I've replaced the PCV valve and tryed different vacum routings. This weekend I'm replacing the intake gaskets and adding a new 70mm EGR block. The EGR block that is on it is a used 65mm that has been milled to match my 70mm T/B and I'm thinking that it may be faulty or damaged. Also the intake gaskets may have moved during installation. I'm actually out of ideas that could cause this problem. Has anyone experienced this problem with these intakes before? Or do I have a different problem?
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks,
Greg

Greg, Give me a call later today on my cell 717-343-2108, I have a fix for that problem. I went through the same issue on my NA 302...went 11's @ 117.

Awesome Intake....

215816_9_full.jpg

215816_15_full.jpg

Rick....it was great talking to you. Thanks for the tip and I believe that it fixed the problem! :) I have some other issues to fix as well. Such as....header gaskets and just some small tuning issues.Then I'll be able to test drive it tomorrow, but I didn't see ANY sign of oil loss at idle.
Thanks once again,
Greg

P.S. PM me a price for the torque box re-enforcements. I didn't get a chance to ask you on the phone.

Intakes are like other things, what works great for one car might suck for another. The Holley Systemax II intake has some really big runners. You would always make more HP than a stock intake but you would sacrifice low end torque in the prossess, while there are other intakes that would give you as much HP but keeping the TQ such as the Edelbrock Performer, GT40/Cobra/Explorer or ported stock. The Systemmax I is just a aftermarket lower that fits the stock upper, also suposed to be a nice peice.

90mustangGT said:
Intakes are like other things, what works great for one car might suck for another. The Holley Systemax II intake has some really big runners. You would always make more HP than a stock intake but you would sacrifice low end torque in the prossess, while there are other intakes that would give you as much HP but keeping the TQ such as the Edelbrock Performer, GT40/Cobra/Explorer or ported stock. The Systemmax I is just a aftermarket lower that fits the stock upper, also suposed to be a nice peice.

I'm personally VERY happy with the gain my car had with just adding a 75mm BBK T/B and the Systemax II intake. I dropped a full tenth on my 60's with just those two mods. Like you said though.... the results vary from each individual.

GREG91GT said:
Bill s351 are you going to let us in on how you are going to fix your problem,or is it a secret lol.

Nahh man.....No secret. Rick just told me to simply re-route the PCV hose to a nipple installed in the nitrous boss that is located on the side of my C&L Tru-Flow elbow. That was it. That's all I did and there was NO oil loss whatsoever for at least 20 minutes of idling and before this little tip it would have lost at least shot a glass of oil for that length of time. I was adding two quarts per week. THAT REALLY SUCKED!!! :bs: I'm very pleased so far to say the least!! AND....it was about an hour 1/2 of my time (most of which was cleaning up the oil mess) and about $6 bucks for the parts! It works and I can't wait to see how it runs on the street.

Greg

:cheers: To Rick!!! I can't believe I didn't try this before!!

Rick,
Once again, thanks for the tip. I feel really stupid I didn't think of it myself! :bang: LOL

However, my question is this. Did your problem completetly go away?
After I fixed some other issues today, I got to go for a 30 minute test drive. When I got back, I pulled the elbow that is connected to the T/B. I found about 2 tbs of oil just laying in the EGR block and T/B. Also dripping onto the valve cover from the throttle body linkage. It appeared to be coming from the throat of the upper intake. I'm thinking that I might still have an intake gasket issue. Does this problem sound normal to you? I'll know more on the commute to work tomorrow.
The car runs like a champ now to say the least though! :nice: I have the speeding ticket to prove it! :D

Thanks again,
Greg

NO 351 lower available, there are spacers available to run a 302 intake on a 351 though.

Bill my issues completly went away with that little trick, not a drop in the manifold. Glad to see it is running better, sorry for the ticket...lol

Rick 91GT said:
NO 351 lower available, there are spacers available to run a 302 intake on a 351 though.

Bill my issues completly went away with that little trick, not a drop in the manifold. Glad to see it is running better, sorry for the ticket...lol

Rick could you point me in the direction of those spacers? Do you think it would be best to just sell my holley and get the TFS 351 intake? I have TFS twisted wedge heads if that affects the spacers. I have never heard of the spacers before. Thanks man.

Rick 91GT said:
www.pricemotorsports.com

They make all the spacers for Holley for use with there roots blowers.

Personally the Holley would be a little small for a healthly 351, I would go Spyder, TFS-R or Victor depending on the intended use of the combo.

Yea i just found another place that has the spacers. They run a couple hundred bucks...which wouldnt be too cost effective for me at this point. I think i will just sell the holley and get something 351w specific.

Will the spyder kill the low end torque? Its not a full drag car...still a daily driver(well almost) that just needs to make good power.