Any Tips To Find a Job???

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Well... Here i am sitting and watching my bank account run very low... my rent is paid till my lease is up in AUG... my car insurance is paid as well... But im going to need cash for my security deposit and first month or 2 rent for next semester so i need to get a job. Ive put in about a dozen apps.... called back places several times and nothing... I have a few that said they are looking over their applications and i should be getting a call shortly...

I have 4 years of college chemistry under my belt im one class and research off from getting my BS in chemistry.

I have 5 years experience serving at various restaurants (friendly's, birches fine dining, etc...)

WTF.....:shrug: places usually pick up servers for the summer... and i really need to get a job b4 the kids get out of high school...

any ideas for me guys??? anyone local and need some help???

• Sponsors (?)

i hate to suggest this cause i wouldnt want to wish retail on anyone, but if your needing a job bad enough check with local department and general merchandise stores. i work for a local home depot and even tho since i got put on the day shift i pretty much hate my job(loved working on the night stocking crew)it does pay my bills(house payment, insurance, utilities, the works).

most of these are not very fun at all jobs and are ok for people that are waiting for something better to come along. i know we usually get a huge turnover of employees and alot of our guys are goin through school so they are really good at working with our schedules.

Join the Air Force....place to live, free food, see the world, (good and bad). That's what I did 13 yrs ago as a young lad from New Jersey.

Find a local FedEx depot, or the like...they usually hire college kids to load trucks, odd hours, hard work, but pays good...

.....mooch off the parents till school is done, then tackle the world

good luck

Have you done research on chemistry jobs. A friend of got her BS in Chemistry from a college here in Detroit and she can not find a job anywhere, she graduated a year ago. Obviously there are no jobs in Michigan, but she had been looking out of state as well. She is picky about where she wants to move but she is working as a secretary making $10/hr with a Bach. Degree. WTF. I have had to switch my major because jobs suck right now. Try everywhere and hopefully you will land a high paying job when you graduate and pay off any credit cards you have racked up.:nice:

Have you done research on chemistry jobs. A friend of got her BS in Chemistry from a college here in Detroit and she can not find a job anywhere, she graduated a year ago. Obviously there are no jobs in Michigan, but she had been looking out of state as well. She is picky about where she wants to move but she is working as a secretary making $10/hr with a Bach. Degree. WTF. I have had to switch my major because jobs suck right now. Try everywhere and hopefully you will land a high paying job when you graduate and pay off any credit cards you have racked up.:nice:

Well im doing my research next year for on trace explosive detection for well im not really sure if i can say anything about it... and i hope it turns in to a job!

Tonight i went in to the friendly's i worked at and a bunch of people i knew were working the new manager came out and knew my name so someone talked me up. He took down my social and said he would call tomorrow:shrug::nice:

Well im doing my research next year for on trace explosive detection for well im not really sure if i can say anything about it... and i hope it turns in to a job!

Tonight i went in to the friendly's i worked at and a bunch of people i knew were working the new manager came out and knew my name so someone talked me up. He took down my social and said he would call tomorrow:shrug::nice:

Theres some good news,hope it comes through for you.

Posted via Mobile Device

Dude find a mortgage broker and sell mortgages. Rates went down and peeps are refi'ing again. Sell one loan a week and make 1-2k on it...downside is you will have a learning curve and it could take yo ua while to get good at it. Also, only do A credit. B,C,D lenders are crooks.

Finish your degree. DO IT. Then, be open-mined about what to look for. Look into municipal DPS and Police Dept crime labs. Check for federal government positions (don't be afraid of the background checks) There's always Army Corps of Engineers (always need chemists), municipal water companies, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, wildlife research or whatever. You need to GO to these companies/agencies and FIND OUT who calls the shots and TALK to them face to face when you hand over an application/resume. Go to the universities and look for paid research positions by talking to the professors.

My fiance has gone through all of this and landed jobs, usually contract positions fairly easily and she just has a BS in general biology. All it takes is for you to land ONE job to start meeting contacts/future employers. From there, it's all about building the resume.

Too many people suggest taking anything you can get, like retail or restaurant work. Don't undervalue your degree. Taking classes is worthless unless you FINISH. Those low level types of jobs are your worst-case scenarios. I know people who I graduated with who went that route, and guess what . . . 4 years later, they're STUCK in those same dead-ends because their resumes are crap. How do you think it will look to an employer if they see you graduated 4 or 5 years ago and haven't had a relevant job since?

Does your school have resources that help place students in internships and co-ops? I had no idea mine did until my senior year. I happened to have something lined up already but I was pissed because the previous two summers I struggled just like you are. Actually signed up with a temp agency and that led to an internship. May want to check into the "career center" or other such department.

Its a tough summer to be looking for part time work, good luck!

Adam

The US Census Board is hiring for the upcoming census. All you have to do is sign up for a test. It's totally unbiased. If you score well on the test, they give you the job. They probably have some flexible hours too.

Kurt

I know it's not the best field to be in during this economy, but landscaping/roofing/construction companies etc. are almost always hiring because people come and go so frequently. It's rough work but it usually pays better than a low level retail job.