anyone else have this same noise under thier hood

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
I have some wierd noise and I think it might be in the pully system somewhere. I can't seem to pin point it but it's consistant with the RPM's. sound's like a chatter or like timing gears or something like that hard to explain it's like chchit-chchit-chchit.....maby I have a blower and wasn't aware of it:rolleyes: Could it be the power steering pump or maby a bad pully or is what I'm hearing normal.

• Sponsors (?)

It could be a pulley that is slightly out of alignment with the rest of them. You could remove the belt and run the car for a minute (dont let it overheat or anything) and see if that was the cause.

Then before installing the belt again see if the pulleys all spin easy or if you can hear the noise. A smog pump that has the vanes hitting the wall sounds like that too, as do some PS pumps (like you said).

Good luck.

Oh, if you have a mechanics stethoscope, you can use that to find the source (that's how I find that kind of noise). Be real careful of moving engine parts and all that!

It can definitely be the smog pump... I went through hours of listening, metering, and even taking the serpentine belt completely off (as stated above). Only to find the noise comming from my PS pump. I could always tell the noise was comming from the driver side though.

Good Luck :bang:

you can use a rubber hose about the diameter size of your heater core rubber hose about 2-3 feet long and use it as a stethscope to locate the problem just hold one open end to your ear and probe for the sound with the other open end be careful of moving parts and believe me it works and goodluck....

Roland69 said:
I thought it might be but Hissin has a good point on the smog pump...Would a new P/S pump be the same or can I just try draining the pump and fill with synthetic ATF
It's a toss-up with reman'd PS pumps - they tend to be noisy right out of the box. A flushing is always nice but I wouldnt hold my breath that it makes things quiet down (if it's the PS pump).

Not much help there........ Good luck.